Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

English/Cantonese Playgroup

NewMama is offline Registered User

Exclamation English/Cantonese Playgroup

We're an english speaking family with a two year old. We'd love to have him learn Cantonese as we plan on living here for a long time. While there are lots of English/Mandarin playgroups around on HK island, can anyone recommend any English/Cantonese ones. Or else any English/Cantonese activity classes, like arts and crafts for toddlers? The english magazines and papers all seem to give a lot of information about English only, or English/Mandarin, however I do want to give my son a chance to learn some Cantonese.
    Any advice or information would be very welcome.
    Thank you.

hoochiemama is offline Registered User

Question Cantonese Playgroup please!!!

Help please! I also would like my son to learn Cantonese, but cannot find anything such as a playgroup conducted in Cantonese. All of the playgroups listed are in either English or Mandarin as NewMama mentioned before. If anyone knows where I can help my 2 year old learn Cantonese in a group he can have fun with, please let me know!

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

I take my daughter to public library children play area and parks frequented by the local children. Even though my daughter is only 8 months old but she loves seeing other children playing and the children love her too. While my daughter can "learn" Cantonese from these children, I can practise my Cantonese with the mothers too. The problem is, they want to learn English from us :)
    There are a lot of English/Cantonese classes and playgroups for children. You can find all these from the local people's areas. I live in Pokfulam area, I saw some art, music, dancing classes and playgroup for children, etc in Kennedy Town and Aberdeen. Alternatively, try YWCA, YMCA and church but not the English Department. Most of their children classes are run in Cantonese (or Cantonese/English).

NewMama is offline Registered User

Thanks for the replies, I actually have been ringing around. The Macdonnell Road YWCA only offers playgroups for 3 years and up in Cantonese. I've asked friends to keep their eyes open around their homes, but I guess I'll actually have to hit the streets to have a look around when the rain stops!
    I will post any information I find that is useful.

chanvivian is offline Registered User

my daughter is 9 months old and i'm looking for more opportunities for her to meet up with other babies also. which library do you go to?

Mcvey is offline Registered User

Smile casual English/Cantonese Meet-up-Group

i'm a Hong Kong Chinese and my husband is an Indian. He's my first student in Cantonese and everyone says he speaks almost like a local :-)
    He's just a big kid ... you'll know.

We, together with my two babies, shall start a small home-scale playgroup at anytime. They're 1yr and 3yr, bilingual and cheerful.

For now, we can arrange casual Meet-up-group,
    since we haven't got much "playgroup toys" yet.
    Please contact us at [email protected]

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

Hello Chanvivian, I go to the public library in Causeway Bay, opposite Victoria Park, and the public library in Shek Tong Tsui, Kennedy Town.

I have started a Mandarin Speaking Mother and Baby group with the objectives that our babies can learn Mandarin and for mothers to socialize in Mandarin (I am Malaysian Chinese and I need someone to speak to in Mandarin...homesick!) At the moment, we have 5 mothers and babies and we meet up once a week. We live in Pokfulam, Kowloon, Happy Valley, Park Island and Discovery Bay, so we take turn to host the meeting at our home. Where do you live? You are welcome to join us.

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

joannetsao is offline Registered User

There's a school on Caine Rd called New Canaan or something like that. I was looking for a bilingual English/Mandarin Playgroup, but they are bilingual English/Cantonese, so it might be worth a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast