Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Genetic counselling

Sunbun is offline Registered User

Unhappy Genetic counselling

Hello Ladies,

I have just experienced my third "missed abortion" ie: the foetus stopped developing/living. Apparently after three of these there needs to be some testing of both mother and father for any chromosomal problems or genetic defects.

My husband and I have been trying to have a baby since last summer and really would like to start our family now while we are in our early thirties. Yes, I realize that we are still young and have plenty of time before we get into the 'danger zone' (I have been told this too many times) but we would like begin our next journey in life.

Unfortunately the only time we can get an appointment (public hospital) for these types of tests is not until November. I was hoping to relax over the summer and try again in Aug. or Sept. but my doctor says that it is much safer to wait until we know what the problem is.

Is there anyone out there who has had this much difficulty carrying a healthy baby to full term? Can you suggest someone who we might be able to see/somewhere to go in a couple of months?

Thank you for your advice and information.
    Sunbun

SCNG is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunban

I have also had an experience in last Sep, the dr said that most of the egg and sperm are not heathly, the other reason may be the sac get the wrong place to settle or it can't have enough nutrition from you.

Then I visited Dr Clement Chan in Quality Healthcare, he is a nice guy and is the expert. He study a lot of research in different countries, the consultation fee is HK$650 and ultrasound at HK$500. I have visited him for 5 months and now I am in 12 weeks.

good luck

scng

Sunbun is offline Registered User
    SCNG,

Thank you for your shared experience... I'm sorry for your previous loss, but congratulations on making it through the first three months this time!

Thank you very much for the doctor's name, I will look into it. Did you need to have genetic counseling? What was the process? Every test that I've had so far has come back negative and normal.
    Sunbun

SCNG is offline Registered User
    Sunbun

I have just simply take the blood test and sperm test for my husband before that. And I will do the nuchal transluceny test (90% accuracy) to check the risk of down syndrome, if you want to get more accurate, you can get the aumiocentesis test in 16 to 18 weeks. For more details, you can visit www.fetalmedicine.hk

scng

manilawoman is offline Registered User
    here's to hoping all will be well, and that your baby won't have down's syndrome... incidentally, if there is an indication of down's syndrome, is there any way to fix it while in the womb?

Kimmi is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by manilawoman
    here's to hoping all will be well, and that your baby won't have down's syndrome... incidentally, if there is an indication of down's syndrome, is there any way to fix it while in the womb?
    The only way to get a full possive result for Down's Syndrome is actually by having CVS or amnio. The trans nucal scan, blood tests and nose bone measurements can give an indication but you would still need to have the invasive test's if you wanted to be sure. Once you get the result unfortunately there's no way of correcting Down's Syndrome in the womb you either opt for termination or go ahead and prepare yourself to look after a special needs child.