Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rice Cereal Allergy

TayTay is offline Registered User

Rice Cereal Allergy

Baby is now 6 months, but at 4 months, her baby clinic recommended starting her on rice cereal. At first everything was great and she liked it, but after a week or so, she developed really rosy cheeks. Took her to the dr and it turned out she was allergic.

At the beginning of June, we decided to try again. This time, she got a less of a rash, but it was still visible, so decided to stop again. Baby clinic suggested making congee (with some lean pork just to add flavour to the congee). BB reacted again.

This weekend, we gave her a break, but found she was getting frustrated with just milk. Pureed some pear instead. Seems like she's getting a rash (but not sure if it's from the congee experience).

Really frustrated and heartbroken to see BB all red and rosy, and no solid food seems to be right for her.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else experienced rice cereal allergy? Should I try organic rice cereal? HELP PLS!

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    My boy turned into racoon eyes after having rice cereal. We ended up giving him baby oatmeal cereal by gerber to try and he was ok with that. You might also try applesauce & sweet potato (yam) or squash and see how baby reacts to those, generally if baby has allergies stay away from "seeded" stuff like kiwi, strawberries, oranges, and banana (that one surprised me), my baby was allergic to bananas until he was 18 months old. Good luck.

TayTay is offline Registered User

Rice Cereal Allergy

Thank you so much for your advice. It's so good to hear (although sad too) that I'm not the only one.

I will definitely give oatmeal a try once her rash has gone down.

Fingers crossed!

carang is offline Registered User
    one of my books suggests NOT starting with fruit, as the baby will become accustomed to the sweetness of it and may then refuse the veggies.

my nearly 5 month old started with oatmeal. then i tried carrots, sweet potato, peas. now he also gets a little bit of peaches at the end of the meal. he absolutely LOVES his food. i haven't come across anything that he doesn't like yet. neither has he had a reactiont o any food. keeping my fingers crossed that he won't.

good luck!

emilyc is offline Registered User
    You may wish to get rid of the allergy with naturopath treatment.

If you are interested, pm me and I can pass the doctor's contact details to you.

Rgds

e

bebe is offline Registered User
    My baby started having rashes since birth. His cheeks are the worst. He's 7mths now. We finally did a skin allergy test after he had a major outbreak after eating an eggyolk. His face was swollen, his ears like 2 big tomatoes...
    Now we know he's allergic to not only egg, but also rice, fish, oat, apple, peanuts, pork... We've been feeding him Organix Rice Cereal since 5.5months, no wonder his rashes didn't improve with steroids!
    I'm now looking for wheat cereal, but can't seem to find any. Please help. I'm researching on Quinoa, Millet, Kamut, and Amaranth... please advise. I bought a pack of millet, and cooked it like just like congee. The texture was coarse, and baby didn't like it very much. I may try potato soon.
    Thanks!

rani is offline Administrator
    Bebe,

have you tried the Health Food stores? Healthy Delight have an online store:

http://www.healthydelight.net/shop/
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

bebe is offline Registered User
    Thanks very much for the link, will definitely check out this store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast