Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Down Syndrom

MrsP is offline Registered User
    Hong KOng
    I am 37 and my stats came back at 1/54 for DS. However, like some of our friends above have also said, we decided not to have the amnio as we were going to have the baby regardless. Doc was a little surprised at our refusal of the amnio and suggested we have a detailed scan instead, which we did, and this showed no signs of the usual physical abnormalities often associated with DS. Whilst this is no guarantee, it helped to reassure us. I do feel for you, as I know how stressful this time was for us. My recommendation would be to have a detailed scan first and see what that shows up and then reconsider with the information you have. PS my beautiful, healthy, perfect, baby girl was born 6 weeks ago.

smu_hk is offline Registered User
    Was HK, Now Syd
    I was in the same shoe as you - eager to take the amnio due to age risk factor, because of the returned blood test which was similar to your result, I cannot recall exactly, the doc at Tsun Yuk adamently said there was no need to do it. So I went without doing it, I am glad I took that decision. My baby is very healthy.

Kimmi is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Moooi
    I'm 37.5, am in week 28 now and did the amnio in week 18. Was afraid but my husband didn't want to risk having a DS baby. I took a long time to decide and your stats 1/800 are great (same as a woman of 25). Mine was 1/249, below average for my age. A friend of mine who works at a hospital said that 0.5% risk of miscarriage included stats of miscarriage before ultrasound was used. These days, the actual stats are virtually nil of losing a baby thru amnio coz almost all docs use ultrasound. But there are cases. If I had your stat, I wouldn't have done the amnio. My best friend who was almost 40 had 1/800 also and did not do amnio and she just had a healthy baby.
    Hi Moooi
    Who did your Amnio and was you pleased the treatment?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top