Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Down Syndrom

SCNG is offline Registered User

Down Syndrom

Hi ladies

I am 36 and in week 12, dr said the ratio of my age to get down syndrom is around 1/200. I took the nuchal translucency test yesterday and the measurement of baby is normal and risk ratio was decreased to 1/2096, however the blood test was 1/191 and the average was 1/820.

I am thinking to do the aumiocentesis test in week 14 to 16 and the risk of this test is 0.5% to 1% to get miscarrage. Anyone heard that someone had miscrrage after this test. Pls advise. Thank you

scng

Ava L. is offline Registered User
    If you got a 1/800+ that's a great score. The risk of miscarriage from an amnio is 1/200 so the chance of getting a miscarriage is higher than your baby's risk for Down's.

Ava

lydia is offline Registered User

Wink OSCAR Test

My blood test shows a risk of 1/81 for Down Syndrome.

My husband was so upset when we get the news. But after talking to our church friends, we decided not to go for the amnio test. We are willing to accept the baby no matter if the baby have down syndrome or not.

Now I am 26 weeks pregnant. We pray for our baby as often as possible.

a mom is offline Registered User
    i don't know many people who have gotten the amnio done. of those who have, none have lost their babies as a result. but statistics are what they are, so certainly there are many who do suffer this loss. before you do an amnio, you might speak to a genetic counsellor who can better explain the risk of your child having DS based on your family history as well as your test results. of course, the central question is does it matter to you and your family? later in pregnancy, even without the amnio, there are indications which can point to DS so you would have a good chance of knowing and preparing before the baby's born. i can imagine how stressful all this is, and i wish you luck.

Thank you for all yr info, I will reconsider to take the test.

Moooi is offline Registered User
    I'm 37.5, am in week 28 now and did the amnio in week 18. Was afraid but my husband didn't want to risk having a DS baby. I took a long time to decide and your stats 1/800 are great (same as a woman of 25). Mine was 1/249, below average for my age. A friend of mine who works at a hospital said that 0.5% risk of miscarriage included stats of miscarriage before ultrasound was used. These days, the actual stats are virtually nil of losing a baby thru amnio coz almost all docs use ultrasound. But there are cases. If I had your stat, I wouldn't have done the amnio. My best friend who was almost 40 had 1/800 also and did not do amnio and she just had a healthy baby.

Moooi

Thanks for your solid info, I will get the comment from one more doctor and see.

jennymc is offline Registered User
    My blood tests showed high probability of DS (I'm 39 years old) but my scan showed no indication of DS. Amnio was suggested but we decided not to have it done due to the risk of miscarriage and we have also decided to have our baby no matter what. With prayers in our hearts, I gave birth to a healthy and beautiful baby girl last April. I completely understand what you are going through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top