Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby formula

mammalicious is offline Registered User

baby formula

hi

starting to look at getting a can of baby formula in case i'm not as successful in breastfeeding, that i will have something as backup.

can anyone suggest any brand/type of formula that is better? there are so many out there, i wouldn't know which to begin with.

Thanks!

pragya is offline Registered User

formula

Hi, i would suggest you to buy Enfamil/Enfapro(according to age)...which is as good as mother's milk and it contains lots of iron. And all the milk in the market are similar priced little bit less or more.

Choice is absolutely yours. And also you can go to the enfamil website and read more about it.

bye
    pragya

jane01 is offline Registered User
    No no no, nothing is as good as mothers milk !

I had a backup tin of Enfamil in the cupboard when my daughter was born. I remember waking up hubby to make a bottle in the middle of the night when I was painfully engorged with milk and couldn't get the poor thing to latch on. I remember my midwife telling me that if I was serious about b/f I should throw out the formula. But my 4 day old bub was screaming with hunger at 1am and I just couldn't express anything to feed her. Thank goodness I ignored her advice and had a tin handy ! After those intial problems we went on to b/f for 11 months !

HappyV is offline Registered User

Smile

Dear Pragya,
    Of course, the choice is yours as to whether you breastfeed or formula feed. But there's absolutely no question that breast milk is best for a baby - ALL the research (medical, anecdotal) shows this. Formula is chosen for many reasons - ( convenience for most, and for medical reasons for a few.)
    The important aspect of this decision is to respect the choice of the mother, without guilt or judgement (but a dose of reality can't hurt).
    But in helping others to make that choice, please do not claim that formula is as good - the marketing companies do thier job very well, but you can't substitute millions of years of biologocal evolution for something that comes in a can.
    Possibly an unpopular thing to say, given the high rates of formular fed babies in HK. But read any baby care book/website, and the research all says the same thing - that formula is fine, but breastmik is best.

rani is offline Administrator
    We breastfed for 11 months too! Other than engorgment and a bad case of mastitis we didn't have any problems bfing. If I had started pumping earlier would have been able to avoid these too.

We started supplementing at 7mths and put D on Enfamil. Paeditricians receive lots of free sample cans of formula. Rather than buy a can ask your Dr for one.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

pragya is offline Registered User

formula

Hi, i know that nothing can beat breast milk.....what i meant is Enfamil is best next to breast milk. Sorry...but since she asked for the milk i suggested that.....thts all.
    bye
    pragya

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    thank you, i knew what you meant the first time.. its been very helpful. i will be aiming to breastfeed but want to have some formula just in case there are some unforeseen problems!

thanks to everyone!!