Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milk refusal at 8 months

Nicmum is offline Registered User

Red face Milk refusal at 8 months

My son totally refuse to take any milk...he's now 8 months and weigh 21 pounds and 75cm in height. He consumes any other solid with no problem.

Actually his milk intake drop from 24-30 oz to 16-20 oz a day a month ago. I was worried and brought him to the doctor for a check up. Doctor said he's doing well looking at his weight/height percentile at his age, also no other health problem. According to the doctor some babies won't drink milk anymore once solid been introduced. I wasn't too convinced with that...

I introduced yogurt in his diet when he was 6 months old and cheese recently. As he loves both yougurt and cheese, i served him 2 pot yogurt daily ( in morning and night time as dessert). As for cheese, he snack on it after lunch if he wants to. He eats 4 tablespoon cereal with fruits for breakfast followed by yogurt an hour later. Sometimes 1 slice whole wheat bread in place of yougurt.

1 bowl congee with 2TB Veg/poultry for lunch followed by half fruits of any kind or egg yolk desserts and snack on cheese and bread stick an hour later or so. Another half fruits before dinner with 1/2 pot yogurt. He finished 1 bowl congee with 2TB veg/poultry and 1/2 pot yogurt for dessert.

Am i feeding him too much solid?? I tried reducing his solid to half bowl each meal with no cheese/ yogurt but it doesn't work....his last meal is 7.30 pm and yet he won't drink milk when he wakes up 8.00am the next day. That's like 12 hours+ apart!.

He used to drink 4 oz in morning, another 4-5 oz before his afternoon nap at 12.30pm, 4 oz at around 5.30 pm and 4 oz before bed time. Although i wasn't too satisfied with his 4 oz milk comsumed each time but at least he's drinking.

Tried asking doctor for advice but she told me it's fine..as long as he's growing and has appetite for food. Personally i still think an 8 months infant SHOULD drink milk. There's no solid food as nutritious as breast/formula milk.

Anyone has similar problem? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Nicmum is offline Registered User
    I forgot to mention that i tried changing teats, swapping to drinking cup and even change formula recomended by doctor. None work for him.

Precious88 is offline Registered User
    I wonder if anyone has tried Enfamil A+ Read to feed (yellow color) before? because my first baby is due towards the end of the year and i am already curious to find the right milk for him/her. I heard that this Enfamil item is not available in HK but Canada.

shar is offline Registered User
    Hi
    the problem i think is that the milk does not taste as nice as all these exciting new flavours that hes now getting. My first was very similar in that once she had solids breastmilk/formula was not as accepted.

As hes putting on weight and is happy /content dont worry too much.

You can perhaps do a few things e.g cutting down how much food he is getting over a few days and offer the milk before each meal.

Dont worry they do go back to milk. My daughter is now 6 and drinks it all the time!

thanks

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    My son went throught a similiar stage at around 8-9 months and refused to drink as much milk (he was breastfed); he was always great at eating solids, and was gaining weight well, so as long as he was drinking some milk and eating lots of dairy products I wasn't too concerned.

He eventually weaned himself around 10 mnths, and then when he was almost 12 mnths we started him on fresh cow's milk which he loves, and now at 20 mnths he's constantly asking for milk to drink.

As long as your baby is drinking some milk, and growing well I wouldn't worry. And as they get older you'll be glad you have a baby who has taken to solid food so well, I know I am!

limantari is offline Registered User
    Hi Bekyboo44,

My son will turn 1 year old in less than 1 month. We would like to wean him to fresh cow milk, but we dont know which brands are suitable for baby about that age. Can you advice me any cow milk that suitable for baby that just turn 1 year old?
    My baby dislike to eat and drink milk unless if we distract him with toys or TV. We hope he will like to drink cow milk when he turns 1 year old. Thanks.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    limantari, you can use full fat cow's milk for children from 12 months (do not use skim or low fat milk for children so young). We use the Pura milk from Australia. We don't trust the local brands as much after a few off containers of Kowloon Dairy and Trappist. If they're out of Pura, I get Nestle if desperate, or just hope we don't run out before they have more stock!!

limantari is offline Registered User
    Hi tstmum,

Is Pura also fresh milk like those Trappist and Kowloon Dairy?
    Also is it available in 360 supermarket?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast