Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

epidural or spinal

jollymom is offline Registered User

epidural or spinal

Hello, I was wondering if I could hear from moms out there who had c-sec on the experience of epidural or spinal and what reasoning led them to choose either? I am trying to decide on which to try as I do not wish to have general anaesth. for the c-sec. Many thanks.

Rianna is offline Registered User
    Hi I decided to go with a spinal rather than general because I wanted to see my baby as soon as he was taken out. No regrets and I recovered very quickly. According to my doc, these days the needle used for spinal is very thin so there is no need even to stay in bed for 24 hours as it used to be. I was up the very next day

Nicmum is offline Registered User
    I decided epidural too because i wanted to see my son immediately after birth. I discharged from the hospital the next day as i recovered fast. It's wonderful to see your son as soon as he's being taken out =). However if the spinal/epidural somehow fail the protocol is general anaesth. It happens to one of my friend where she could feel the pain when operated so the general applied here. Good luck =)

rads is offline Banned
    I had an epidural too coz the doc told me that its better...no regrets ...I too was out of bed the next day & I got to **** and hold my son the minute he was out.....

Angie is offline Registered User
    Hi

I had a spinal, it is as far as I know a lower dose than the epidural and I liked the idea of just a quick injection as apposed to the epidural which is left in the whole time. There also seem to be less possible side effects from the spinal. I was really nervous about it but it was amazing. I had a fantastic aneathestist who explained exactly what would be happening and what I could expect to feel. It was amazing to be able to see Ally as soon as she was born and to have my husband right there with us. The recovery is really quick and I can highly recommend it. If you want more detail please feel free to e-mail me, [email protected].

Good luck and I hope you have an amazing birthing experience

Regards
    Angie

jollymom is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences - I feel much less apprehensive about a spinal now!