Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cradle cap

Cici is offline Registered User

Unhappy Cradle cap

My little boy (1 year old) has a severe case of cradle cap. Although he doesn't cry, sometimes I see him scratching his head slighly and the area looks sore. I've talked to the doctor and he just told me to put Almond oil on his head. Even though the doc says it's something that'll pass with time (I hope!) I can't see the difference after 2 weeks and I'm worried that the continuing hot weathers making it worse. Has anyone had a similar experience and did it really go away with time??

Niterz is offline Registered User
    My daughter at age 2 also had a terrible case of cradle cap. It doesn't go away easily so you have to be patient.

We found the thing that helped the most was daily shampooing with a very mild shampoo, followed by a good brushing.

We washed & rinsed her hair everynight THOROUGHLY with clean, running tap water (Do not use water from the bath) using Cradle Cap shampoo for newborns (Mustela makes a good one). During washing, we gently scrub the affected area of her scalp with our fingertips.

Our pediatrician also proscribed us some Betnovate, a scalp application that is supposed to help cradle cap. Just using that only didn't seem to help much but the Betnovate plus the special shampoo plus daily hair wash did the trick.

After a couple of months, my daughter's scalp is cradle cap free and very healthy! Hope this helps.

Thanks Niterz for the advice, I'm going to carry on using the oil for another 2 weeks before going back to the doc. I never knew there was a difference in running water and bath water- so I'll also give that a try.
    My Doctor also gave me betnovate to use, but I haven't used it bcos it contains steriods. Ok, so its only a steriod cream, but I'm still hesitant to use it, so I'll hang on there with the oil for another few weeks and keep my fingers crossed.

momo is offline Registered User
    My daughter's cradle cap was pretty bad and it took months for them to completely clear and go away. I have tried rubbing oil, Vitamin E oil etc but nothing helped. I would not take the steroid route, I feel it is more a cosmetic rather than health issue which will resolve itself.

Jen Spain is offline Registered User
    I tried several different methods on our daughter, but found using olive oil quite good - apply then brush through with a soft comb. The hair may be quite oily for a few days and I still washed Ally's hair gently but if you keep combing each day (no need to apply more oil) it will loosen a bit. olive oil is good for the skin and you can buy it in pure form if worried about additives.

Niterz is offline Registered User
    Only use the steroid medication if you feel comfortable. We tried it as at age 2, my daughter's cradle cap was not the kind that flaked off - like a newborn's. It was a hard, yellow crusty substance.

Anyway, the medication ultimately didn't work so we stopped using it ..I felt that what did work was switching from rinsing/washing her hair with her bath water (which is usually loaded with soap, bubble mix, and what else from that day's wash!) to running tap water and using a gentle shampoo really helped.

Good luck!

Mosiguard is offline Registered User
    cradle cap comb- I stumbled across this on this website http://greenbabyco.com/acatalog/Gree...assage_33.html and it really worked. I tried all other natural products but this is the only thing that worked for my son. I bought the oil too and used that first- presumably any oil will soften the scalp. good luck

Thanks ladies
    think I'll take the "natural route' to solve the problem- but I must say, changing to shower water instead of bath water is really good advice, my and husband and I can see the difference already- so finger n' toes crossed that it won't last for that long!