Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Medela Pump-in-Style vs Ameda Purely Yours?

maryann is offline Registered User

Medela Pump-in-Style vs Ameda Purely Yours?

Has anyone used any of these before? :breastfed

I'm thinking of ordering from the US, do you know how durable and reliable the pump motor is?

Your comments highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Maryann

Su Mei is offline Registered User

hi,

I use the Medela pump in style traveller (comes in a black napsack, just saw it at the central Bumps to Babes store at Pedder St) and am very happy with it and when I travel I just pack the motor part of it so it's quite compact.

smu_hk is offline Registered User

Hi,

I too bought my Medela pump in Style (but advanced) from Ebay US.
    Only thing is they have US powerplug, instead, I just use the battery pack here.
    They are very good, worth the money. The Advance one includes a hand/manual pump (just as good - can be a little tiring) which is what I use when I am at work. Though the battery pack can be quite heavy to lug around.

a mom is offline Registered User

smu hk,

fyi: you can get a local adapter plug for about HK$200 from the local supplier's shop. so you don't have to go thru batteries! i found the shop really handy, they've got everything you need in terms of replacement valves, etc. plus super helpful staff. the shop is in causeway bay, if you do a search here for medela you'll see rani's post witht the phone number.

original poster,

the medela is the category leader and i think for good reason. with breastfeeding you don't want to mess around with something even slightly inferior, enough challenges with newborns without such nuisances. don't know what i would've done without my pump in style--it was the most reliable thing in my first year of motherhood.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I would be careful about buying breast pumps from abroad. They are things that easily break and it will be expensive to get replacements and use your guarantee. When I say easily break they seem to either work great for ages or break down really quickly – so the guarantee is still effective.

Ben's mom likes this.

Slee is offline Registered User

I bought my PIS in New Zealand as at the time it was only HK$1400. My MIL brought it over from NZ with her and it has since flown with me to the UK and NZ. I've had no trouble with ti breaking down and I give it a lot of credit for helping me to breast feed until my duaghter was 17 months, despite working fulltime.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

As I said they either work well for ages (as yours did) or they seem to break down very quickly. I know a number of people who have had to return theirs. I even had to tell the nurses in the hospital that the one they gave me wasn’t working – fortunately I wasn’t a first time mother and had confidence in myself to produce milk – thus correctly blamed the pump rather than myself.
    Barb

rani is offline Administrator

I had a Medela Mini-Electric which I accidentally dropped on the floor one night and the motor stopped running. I was so engorged the next morning we had to rush to Causeway Bay and buy a new one.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast