Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seeking stroller/car seat/bjorn advice : petite mum, stay-at-home, drives, no maid

mamamau is offline Registered User

Seeking stroller/car seat/bjorn advice : petite mum, stay-at-home, drives, no maid

Our daughter is due in November and we would like to seek some advice re: the combination of stroller/car seat/bjorn to buy or not buy.

First there's the stroller.
    My situation: I'm a stay-at-home mum with a parttime cleaning lady. I plan to drive to grocery-shop perhaps twice a week starting month#2 postpartum. I might not be able to lift a heavy stroller into the car trunk due to my size (100-pound pre-pregnant.) Fortunately (?) the baby seems to be quite petite as well - I've gained only 11 pounds at 27 weeks.

We'e looked at some stroller models and found the sturdy ones (10kg) probably too heavy for me to lift into the car trunk daily... But the Graco and Combi ones (4kg) look rather frail to me... Are they safe enough? If I plan to go out with baby by myself only twice a week - with some groceries in hand, would I still be able to get by with just a baby bjorn for the first couple of months? (Hm... maybe I'll use a grocery bag with wheels!?) Actually how many months would I be able to survive with a bjorn? :) (Husband will take a month off.)

Also, since I won't be taking public transport, can you think of other scenarios where I might need a stroller that can be folded single-handedly?

==> So do you think we could actually get a heavier stroller to use only on the weekends while my husband is around?

And if we do get a heavier stroller which I might have to skip using some of the time, do you think it's feasible for me to use an infant car-seat as a place for baby to sleep in while I go out to, say, eat with a friend in a restaurant?

How do people like their infant car-seats? Since it will only last for maybe 9 months, is it worthwhile to get one instead of the convertible ones just because you can pick up the whole thing withouth waking up baby?

And, how much in advance do people buy their strollers, car seats and cribs? Shopping is giving me a headache... :P

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by mamamau; 08-03-2005 at 07:11 PM.

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi Mama,

I'm not petite, but I do have a weak back.

Baby Bjorn
    I used the Baby Bjorn till D was around 7 or 8 mths. My husband was able to carry it for a bit longer. We got a light weight Combi when D was around 6mths and able to sit up. I LOVED it! It was so easy to manage.

The infant car seat was great too. I loved being able to pick it up and take it with us for dinners/playgroups etc. But we only did this till he was 5-6mths.

Have you looked at the travel systems - carseat/stroller combos? I beleive there are a couple that are lightweight that you maybe comfortable managing on your own.

D calling...gotta run.
    Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

terry is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Our baby is due at the end of September and after doing loads of research and talking to friends this is what my husband and I decided upon:
    We don't have or plan to have a full time helper, just a part time cleaner and we also will have a car by the end of this month, so hopefully not too many trips on public transport need be taken :)
    We purchased a Bugaboo Frog, see www.bugaboo.com
    It's a bit expensive, however is suitable from birth until about 4 years of age. It has a seperate basinet for use from birth and then a seperate stroller/seat. The website is very helpful.
    The best thing though is it is REALLY light, can be turned one handed. The only downside is that is folds into 2 pieces so no good for public transport. We also bought a Chicco stroller (currently on sale half price) for plane trips or public transport days. With the bugaboo, you can also buy an adaptor for a Graco, Maxi Cosi and Peg Perego infant seats so that you can click it in and go. My husband and I have decided not to get this though as we are going to get a convertable seat from birth which will last with our child a lot longer, as the bugaboo has the basinet for the baby to sleep in should we go out.

We also bought the Baby Bjorn Active upon advice from other mum's in Hong Kong....I know the shopping is overwhelming!
    Hope this helps! :)

maryann is offline Registered User
    Hi Mama,

We've similiar concerns. Here's how and what we've finally settled:

1) A mid-size Chicco Stroller, it's rather stable and not too heavy (suitable from 1-2mos up to 2 years old). We were looking at the travel systems in the first place but they all seemed too heavy and bulky for me if I'm on my own....

2) A Snugli and a baby bjorn carrier - one for my husband (he's tall) and one for me, so we won't have to worry about adjusting the straps & etc... also, we plan to use the carrier for our newborn before she's ready for the stroller.

3) An infant car seat - we bought ours in Wing On Dept store at a sale for only $400. The seat comes with a 3 point harness, it's locally made but quite sturdy and passed safety standards. We supposed the baby should overgrow this in months and will prefer to spend our money on an upscaled one that could last longer, e.g for 6mos to 3 years...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Maryann

Btw,

There is almost new Combi for sale on our classifieds.

http://www.geoexpat.com/classifieds/...p?product=2645
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Prego1 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I'm due in September and am baby product obsessed and have read about every review and interviewed loads of Moms.

Stroller/car-seat. I opted for the Quinny Zap. Its 6kg so pretty light weight and sturdy. Its currently on sale at Mothercare and B2B. The baby car seat maxi cosi cabrio straps into this stroller. After the baby is greater than 6 months, then you can use the regular seat. My Chic Mom-friends who have 4 strollers tell me this is the only they use b/c of how light it is. Its also really snazzy looking. B/c this stroller is light, I've heard its best of flat smooth surfaces like shopping malls & grocery stores. Its not ideal for walking about Soho and LKF, but then only the Mountain Buggy seems equipped for those steep surfaces and that's when people use the Baby Bjorn.

Am tempted to also to get the Quinny Buzz. This has bassinet option so the baby can lie flat and the seat reclines to 3 levels. This is heavier, but is the only one that I've tested that can be opened and closed with one hand easily. Its really cool. Its currently on sale at Mothercare, but did not buy yet b/c the baby can only use one stroller at a time and I think that we will be fine with the Zap. If I find that I also need to the Buzz, I'll buy it when the time comes or they may be something even better on the market then.

Baby Bjorn: Moms tell me its a must, but can get heavy for long hauls and really hot in the summer. If you have a baby less than six months, its not a good idea to keep it upright in the sling for a long time b/c its spine is not yet strong enough to sit up properly and babies usually end up slouching in the sling. There are also studies that suggest the for the first 6 months babies need to lie flat so that their spines properly develop which is why alot of people suggest that a stroller they can lie flat in is best. I don't plan to be out with my child so much in the first 6 months and don't believe that their growth will be stunted by short naps in its baby carrier when we are out.

There is a book printed in the States called "Baby Bargains". I resisted buying it, but my sister bought me a copy when I on holiday. It only covers US brands, but its like a consumer reports and a review by real Moms. Its my shopping bible. Although it doesn't cover the Quinny b/c its not sold in the US, it has a review on almost everything you could possibly need that is baby related. Don't let the title fool you as it reviews all the high-end products too.

Good luck!

mamamau is offline Registered User
    Thank you, ladies. You are so helpful :)

We sell Baby Bargains on ShopinHK

http://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=1205
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast