Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Planning to share bed with baby - do we still need a cradle / crib for her day naps?

glee is offline Registered User
    we used the playpen/ bassinet initially but decided that it wasn't very good for bb's back coz the mattress is a fold up kind and therefore isn't very comfortable (goes down in the middle) An alternative is the Aprica or Combi high chair which can be converted into a bassinet type bed initially (ie goes horizontal) and has a rocking motion if that's what you're looking for. It comes with wheels and therefore can be moved around the house.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    Another option is a pram or stroller which allows baby to lie flat (and preferably have legs up). We never bought a bassinet and used our stroller for daytime naps for quite a while. Advantage is that baby is used to sleeping there if you want him/her to sleep while you are out, and you can also move rooms according to what is going on in your house, e.g. away from where hoovering needs doing etc. Bassinet has the latter effect but is bulky if you don't have much space for something which will only be used for a few months. Naps in the adult bed would be fine until he/she starts to roll over, which I think is about 2-4 months.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Bed sharing is not dangerous if simple measures are taken to protect the baby. This is the same for cots and cradles. The difference is that with a cot or cradle the manufacturer has taken care of the safety procedures and with bed sharing the parents have to.

The Baby Friendly Hospital Imitative and UNICEF in the UK have produced a leaflet, available at, which explains what measures you need to do to make your bed safe.

Adult beds are not designed for babies. To prevent your baby overheating, suffocating or becoming trapped:

• The mattress must be firm and flat - waterbeds, bean bags and sagging mattresses are not suitable;
    • Make sure that your baby can’t fall out of bed or get stuck between the mattress and the wall;
    • Your baby should not be overdressed - he should not wear any more clothes than you would wear in bed yourself;
    • The covers must not overheat the baby or cover the baby’s head;
    • Your baby must not be left alone, in or on the bed as even very young babies can wriggle into dangerous positions;
    • Your partner should know if your baby is in the bed;
    • If an older child is also sharing your bed, you or your partner should sleep between the child and the baby;
    • Pets should not share a bed with your baby

Sofas are very dangerous for babies as they can become trapped down the sides or in the cushions. Never lie down or fall asleep with your baby on a sofa or armchair.

Best wishes,

mamamau is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot for the useful article, Barb!

capital is offline Banned
    I agree, sleeeping in the same bed is safe as long as it is done safely.

I don't think it is realistic that you will always nap or sleep when your baby does, especailly when they are older. It would not be safe to leave the baby on an adult matress unattended, so I would get a small crib. I have a friend who always went to bed at 800 Pm, because her baby would not sleep alone.

I don't know if the infant car seat is such a good idea. It is one thing to fall asleep in the car, but to always have to sleep in that curled postion can't be good for your back.

benjy is offline Banned
    well, my 9-month baby has been sleeping in our bed since her very first day and her big sister might even join us sometimes and well, what's the problem?
    unless you are sleeping dead drunk next to your baby what seriously could happen?
    my baby is still breastfed at night and I don't want to think what sleep I would get if she wasn't just next to me..
    We however have her baby bed just next to ours but she's almost never there!! (we had the bed from our first child). The first months, she was still having her naps in our bed (we were always putting some pillows around her to prevent any falling down!), but now we are trying to put her to sleep in her bed during the day..I find it safer when she's alone now that she moves a lot.
    so, I would second another mom, wait and see ..
    good luck
    benjy :)

smu_hk is offline Registered User
    Was HK, Now Syd
    Hi Mamamau:

My baby is now 6 months. I had her back in Sydney. I didn't have a proper cot or crib for her back there. So I had a borrowed baby bassinet, where she stayed most of her first month. During the day, she just slept on my bed, with pillows around her, though she hardly moved in the first month.

After my husband returned to HK, I had her in the big bed with me, mainly because it was easier for me to breastfeed her at night, it was cold - so you need to be careful that you don't cover her. The disadvantage of having her in your bed is that you need to be aware/semi-conscious throughout your sleep to make sure she is safe. Like what benjy said, unless you are dead drunk or tired, then it is not a good idea to share a bed
    with your baby. Which I think you may find in the first month or so, you will be extremely tired!

Up to now, we still share a bed with our 6 month. Even though we have a cot for her next to our bed, she just won't stay in it. She prefers to stay with us. That's also because I am still breastfeeding her in the middle of the nights. I know most people would say this is not recommended!! (I am trying out the "Attachment Parenting" as suggested by Dr. Sears. ) Though sometimes she wakes us up in the middle of the night, or take up the bed, giving us sleepless nights.
    I will one day hope to get her to sleep in her own cot when she is ready, that will just be in her own time.

We had a simple cradle, which I only used to settle her during the day, but she hardly wants to sit in it for too long. I had taken her to see the Osteopath, he said that it is ok for them to sleep in these cradles, but make sure it's well padded for their back. I think they would only stay in the cradle for no more than 2 months. My baby didn't like it when she was about 3 months. But it served it's purpose in the first 3 months, though, a stroller would do the same as well.

So, the cot, I think if you plan to bedshare in the early years, you might want to consider buying a biggish one, because she hardly uses the current one, I think it's already getting too small for her. They grow so fast in their first year!!

benjy is offline Banned
    just wish to say hi because I was so glad to read you speaking of attachment parenting!!!!!
    benjy :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast