Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Using epidural and water labor at the same time?

mamamau is offline Registered User

Using epidural and water labor at the same time?

I'm planning to use epidural, but am wondering if I would be able to take advantage of laboring (but not delivering) in water (using the jacuzzi tub at the Adventist). With the little "tube" sticking out from my back, how can I prevent infections from the water tub?

Thanks!

Slee is offline Registered User
    I don't think the staff will be at all happy about this one. For one, you won't be able to move once you've had the epidural and also you'll need to be monitored more once the epidural is in to make sure your BP and the baby's heartbeat doesn't drop from the medication. Water speeds up labour by helping mothers to relax, which includes relaxing the pelvic muscles, which speeds up dilation. If you've had an epidural anyway then you'll have no shortness of relaxation in the muscle department! Unfortunately, mobile epidurals aren't available in HK as far as I know so you won't have the benefit of gravity. When were you planning to get the epidural? If you wait until 5 cm with the aid of the jacuzzi then this is meant to be the magic number in terms of avoiding interventions later on. Hopefully, you'll also have time to get the pain relief before transition if you still feel you need it.

Su Mei is offline Registered User
    hi,

as Slee mentioned, don't think the nurses etc will be too enthusiastic about that, you can get "walking" epidurals ie enough feel for you to do simple things like go to the toilet (but even then with everything hooked up you only do it when it's really necessary) - and frankly once the epidural has kicked in, you will automatically relax believe me - I watched Sex in the City DVDs during my labour!

benjy is offline Banned
    I second the other moms..
    not sure epidural is compatible with water...
    water is normally to try to relieve the pain of contractions..but with the epidural, you shouldn't feel them or not at the same intensity (not sure.. never had one...)
    the best is to talk with your hospital staff anyway.