Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

18 month old refuses haircut

rads is offline Banned

Exclamation 18 month old refuses haircut

Help !!!!

My 18 month old son refuses to let anyone cut his hair...he screams & it's impossible to hold him still....Any idea's??????His first ever haircut was at 12 months ( for religious reasons we don't cut the hair till then) & even then we had a nigthmare holding him down for 2 minutes....

Slee is offline Registered User

It sounds like the first haircut was quite stressful for all of you. Maybe next time you or his dad needs a haircut you could take him along just to watch, then the time after he could get up on the seat for a cut after you or DH has finished.

Another approach that is more expensive is to go to the hairdressers in Toys R Us in Ocean Terminal. It is very gimmicky in that children sit on ponies while their hair is coiffered but it will set you back 3 or 400 dollars. I haven't personally used them as my daughter is already a slave to vanity so has no problem sitting beside me in the hairdressers having her blonde locks nurtured!

Joyce is offline Registered User

Not sure if this is of any help but.....some of the local hairdressers have DVD players in their shop. How about bringing your child's favourite DVD and putting it on while he/she's getting her hair cut? I'm sure the hairdresser would understand.....

rads is offline Banned

thanks slee & joyce...

I've taken him many times when I get a cut..no luck...but I'll give the DVD idea a try...thanks again

a mom is offline Registered User

rads,

my son had been just the same for as long as i can remember and now at the age of 3 1/2, he finally has stopped the thrashing about.we can go to the same shop TWICE!! i had tried EVERYTHING--bribes, demonstating that it doesn't hurt, cuts at home, cuts at very expensive kiddy shops. don't be disheartened if nothing works, eventually he'll come around. in the meantime, consider getting it buzzed to minimize number of visits and make appointments early in the day so shop is less busy as I think the commotion often added to the torture, might try cutting when he's asleep or cutting while he's in bathtub.

oh, what brought the change in my son? we convinced him this haircutter was much better than all the other hair cutters in the world, so now he only wants to go to him.

rads is offline Banned

thanks a mom

its just wonderful to know that i'm not alone ...

rani is offline Administrator

We had the same problem with D as well. He can't sit still for more than 5 mins. Finally hit me I should take a DVD to the hairdresser and that's what we did last month. It worked like a charm. He didn't even relaise that it was one of his own and was so pleased the hairdresser gave it to him as a "gift".

Rani

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

yaffle is offline Registered User

We just trim the fringe while she's asleep...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast