Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby losing voice - urgent advice needed

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

Baby losing voice - urgent advice needed

We have recently been away for a month and now we have difficulty in putting our 10 month old baby to sleep (she has slept quite well/ slept through the night, in her own cot/room, before this, even when we were in the UK) She is refusing to go to sleep in her cot now but wants to sleep with me and wants to be fed the whole time (I am breastfeeding). She is also waking up a couple of times during the night. She is crying so much that she has a husky voice and this has been a week now. We don't know what to do, either intervene to save her throat or leave her to save our sanity.

Is it because of the jet lag (been a week now)? Distrupted routine? Teething? Growth spurt and need more milk? Wanting attention? We are very sure that she is well fed, has clean nappy and she is obviously tired.

Is it true that if a baby is crying a lot, he/she will have husky voice when grown up? I am feeling really bad about this.

Any advice? Thanks!
    Last edited by Wee Kean; 08-20-2005 at 09:17 PM.

Joyce is offline Registered User
    Worthwhile going to a doctor to check things out and set your mind at rest. Something like that happened to my daughter - turned out that she had picked up a virus similar to chicken pox.

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    Wee Kean, it could be combination of all of the above you listed. I know anytime my son has a change in environment, bed, etc. he is more restless, and more likely not to sleep through the night and want more feedings (almost as security or comfort?). I think Joyce's suggestion of visiting the doctor for reassurance and validation that nothing is wrong is a good idea.

Hope things improve for you soon.

val
    val is offline Registered User
    wee kean,

hope your daughter is ok. my son has been waking up every night at around 4. He refuses to sleep. He'll cry if I put him down. I (or my maid) ended up holding him till 7.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your sharing. I will take her to see our midwife tomorrow. She was crying for about 2 hours tonight (on and off) and now finally went to sleep. Her voice is getting worse!

Val, hope you have a good morning tomorrow!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

Jet Lag

Dear Wee Kean,

You asked, “Is it because of the jet lag (been a week now)?”

In my experience jet lag takes much longer than you want to get over. Although it does sound as if your little one has an infection on top of it. As a rough guide I was told to expect one day for every hour time difference.

We returned from England last Monday but it has taken ages for us to get over the jet lag. I think this is because it has been pouring with rain ever since we landed. I find the best way to get over the jet lag is to take everyone outside into the sunshine.

Unfortunately there hasn't been any sunshine until yesterday and the pouring rain made it difficult to even go out into the daylight. Yesterday we managed to spend a good part of the day outside and everyone slept much better.

Hope you are all feeling better soon,
    Barb