Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Massage during pregnancy

Maureen is offline Registered User

Massage during pregnancy

Hi all

I'm 3 months pregnant and starting to suffer from headaches. As I can't take my usual medication, and have found head massage to work in the past, can anyone recommend somewhere in Hong Kong where I can have one from someone who knows specifically how to massage during pregnancy - my Doctor has made me nervous of going to just anyone!

a mom is offline Registered User
    I had an excellent aromatherapy massage in my 2nd trimester by a lady my Chinese medicine teacher recommended for pregnancy massage. She's quite knowlegeable (knew which oils are OK for pregnancy), sensitive and all around great as far as I'm concerned. Her name is Joan Ma. I'm afraid I have lost the card of the place where she works, but with these clues perhaps you can find her:
    -named Aroma Institute or something similar. definitely has "aroma" in the name.
    -located in an office builidng on Wellington Street

There are many spas that offer pregnancy massage but based on my experience at one I wouldn't trust a lot of them--Elemis has a special table for pregnant massage but the masseur was pretty clueless and the massage did nothing for me.

Good luck!
    Last edited by a mom; 09-05-2005 at 07:56 PM. Reason: additional info

carang is offline Registered User
    be careful with aromatherapy... not all oils are ok for pregnancy.

massage during pregnancy is generally ok, but special care needs to be taken. if it's just a head massage you're looking for you'll be ok.

stay away from reflexology as well...

many of the spas offer pregnancy massage.
    check out

frederique
    elemis
    ellespa
    pure
    body conscious

etc.

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    Has anyone found an *inexpensive* pregnancy masseuse? Charging around the same as the local massage places? Spa prices are terrifying.

AnitaC is offline Banned
    Yeah. I too searching on every single website and newspaper/ magazine for inexpensive spa/ massage for pregnant woman.

Can't wait to get pampered

Anita

joannetsao is offline Registered User
    I've been going to a couple different local joints charging $170-$200 for 1 hour. I just lie on my side and have the therapist work on my aching shoulders!

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    so they're happy just to work on the shoulders and neck? That might be a good compromise between having a trained pregnancy massage and a worrying one.

joannek is offline Registered User
    when i was pregnant, i went to elemis, too. that therapist was also clueless & didn't helped. and then I went to skin nursery 21473803 on duddle street, central. very good w/ pregnancy massage, all certified, but on the expensive side.

and then i found one chinese lady who comes to my place, she does reflexology & massage for me (i think she charges about $250/hr). helped me with water retention. very good & she knows where she can touch & where not. i recommended her to a lot of my friends who got pregnant. some were even high risk & had to stay in bed. all my friends like her technique. the only thing about her is, she's so concerned about you that she'll tell you what is wrong with you & keep telling you to do sth to improve your health. buttyou just have to tell her to shut up (and she doesn't mind being told shut up cos she's also a very straight forward character) her name is Ah Sa 9765-8827.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast