Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby shopping

a mom is offline Registered User

Baby shopping

I'm trying to remember what it was like to have a newborn and shop accordingly but thought I'd ask some of you all who have more recent experience! Thanks for any insights.

1. Grobags--at what age do you use them? only good for winter or are there light ones for summer as well?

2. sterilizers--am planning old fashioned boiling method but refresh my memory-is there an advantage to any particular type of sterilizer?

3. diapers--is there such a thing as a cheaper place to buy infant diapers a la the US here in HK?

4. what's the wisdom these days regarding toiletries--baby shampoo, body wash, lotions? any products that are great or horrible?

5. bassinetts--are there actually sheets sold for bassinetts (seems there's no standard size) or do you improvise?

6. wet mat-- i.e. a cloth mat that you put under the sheet so when the diaper leaks the mattress is spared. where can i get one?

Joyce is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

In answer to your questions......

1 - I think there are grobags that start from 0-6 months but I think the baby needs to be a minimum weight (you need to check that one out). My toddler uses it for winter but not for summer. I do know of others who use it in summer as the chill factor with the aircon can be quite cold.

2 - I use an electric sterilizer only for convenience as it automatically switches off when it's done.

3 - As for diapers, I just shop around for on going offers between Mannings, Wellcome and P & S. I have heard of some places that do deals if you buy in bulk but not too sure how much difference you would save.

4 - I quite like Johnsons and Mustela do some nice things too, particularly their craddle cap shampoo.

5 - There are sheets for bassinets available but as sizes differ, you should be able to get sheets from the same shop that you got your bassinet. But I don't see why you couldn't get some sheets made up quite cheaply

6 - I think you can get waterproof sheets from Mothercare.

These are only some of my ideas. You might or might not find it useful!

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    Taken from Grobag site:

An ideal time to start using a grobagĀ® baby sleeping bag is when your baby is approximately 4 - 6 weeks old and weighs more than 10 lbs.

I never got around to getting sheets for the bassinet and ended up using pillow cases.

Are you looking for a mattress protector for the bassinet or your bed? Mattress protectors are available at Price Rite or Wing On. I think Wing On also have cot sizes.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com