- 08-28-2005, 09:49 PM #1Registered User
- Join Date
- Jan 2005
I'm trying to remember what it was like to have a newborn and shop accordingly but thought I'd ask some of you all who have more recent experience! Thanks for any insights.
1. Grobags--at what age do you use them? only good for winter or are there light ones for summer as well?
2. sterilizers--am planning old fashioned boiling method but refresh my memory-is there an advantage to any particular type of sterilizer?
3. diapers--is there such a thing as a cheaper place to buy infant diapers a la the US here in HK?
4. what's the wisdom these days regarding toiletries--baby shampoo, body wash, lotions? any products that are great or horrible?
5. bassinetts--are there actually sheets sold for bassinetts (seems there's no standard size) or do you improvise?
6. wet mat-- i.e. a cloth mat that you put under the sheet so when the diaper leaks the mattress is spared. where can i get one?
- 08-28-2005, 10:04 PM #2Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2003
- Hong Kong
In answer to your questions......
1 - I think there are grobags that start from 0-6 months but I think the baby needs to be a minimum weight (you need to check that one out). My toddler uses it for winter but not for summer. I do know of others who use it in summer as the chill factor with the aircon can be quite cold.
2 - I use an electric sterilizer only for convenience as it automatically switches off when it's done.
3 - As for diapers, I just shop around for on going offers between Mannings, Wellcome and P & S. I have heard of some places that do deals if you buy in bulk but not too sure how much difference you would save.
4 - I quite like Johnsons and Mustela do some nice things too, particularly their craddle cap shampoo.
5 - There are sheets for bassinets available but as sizes differ, you should be able to get sheets from the same shop that you got your bassinet. But I don't see why you couldn't get some sheets made up quite cheaply
6 - I think you can get waterproof sheets from Mothercare.
These are only some of my ideas. You might or might not find it useful!
- 08-28-2005, 11:30 PM #3
Taken from Grobag site:
An ideal time to start using a grobag® baby sleeping bag is when your baby is approximately 4 - 6 weeks old and weighs more than 10 lbs.
I never got around to getting sheets for the bassinet and ended up using pillow cases.
Are you looking for a mattress protector for the bassinet or your bed? Mattress protectors are available at Price Rite or Wing On. I think Wing On also have cot sizes.Founder of GeoBaby.Com
- By dpmother in forum Preparing for the ArrivalReplies: 8Last Post: 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM
- By Neha in forum Baby TalkReplies: 4Last Post: 06-01-2007, 05:58 PM
- By Juniper in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 3Last Post: 04-26-2007, 11:37 PM
- By betheresoon in forum Everything ElseReplies: 7Last Post: 05-21-2006, 03:54 PM
- By rads in forum Baby TalkReplies: 8Last Post: 10-29-2003, 05:47 PM