Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Birthday party for 2 y.o - what to do

iwidiani is offline Registered User

Birthday party for 2 y.o - what to do

My boy is turning 2 next month and I have no idea what kind of birthday party will be suitable for him. I am considering between holding it in his playschool, enganging the teachers or other venue (eg. clubhouse) and enganging a party entertainer. He does not have many friends and those children will be between 2 - 5 y.o.

Anyone wants to share their experiences?
    Thanks

rani is offline Administrator
    Hiya,

We celebrated D's 3rd birthday a couple of months ago, and this is the first year he "got it". He was able to participate, blow the candles and was thrilled to see all his friends. We kept the party small and invited his friends from school and the playground.

Two year olds can't sit for long, so an entertainer would be a waste. Also, if you call Elmo or Barney half the kids will be ecstatic and the others bawling.
    I would postpone the big party for next year and just celebrate in school. Mabye you can even have a lunch at home with a few of your friends with kids.

HTH.
    Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Starry is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

A very happy birthday to your li'l boy next month. You could look into venues that arrange parties such as Bishop Lei Hotel (Robinson Road, Mid Levels) and My Gym (The Centrium, Central). I had got in touch with Bishop Lei for my son's 1st b'day party last year and they arrange a bouncy castle, face painting etc. The bouncy castle would be fun for the 2 year olds while the older children may enjoy face painting. Sorry but I cant recall their charge (it is an all-in package rate). My Gym is an activity playgroup that my son goes to and they also arrange b'day parties. Their website is: www.mygymhk.com
    They have a lot of fun equipment that children enjoy.

Earlier this month we went to a 3rd b'day party at Pizza Express in Central. The children all sat on a long table and put on their hats and aprons and made pizzas. It was so cute and all the children were thoroughly engrossed. The Pizza Express chaps took care of the entertainment as well. My son who isn't 2 yet seemed to have fun as well and sat through the entire pizza making process.

Or if you are a member of a club or have a friend who is, you could always call friends over to play in the playroom and then have a bite to eat after.

I hope the above suggesstions help.

a mom is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Agree with Rani. I'd say celebrate at school and leave the more elaborate parties for when he and his friends can better appreciate them. Better yet, if you go to his school with a cake and some favors, you might also see which children he seems to get along well with. You can then contact the parents and get the kids together. The birthday party scene is a bit of a racket in my opinion with parents getting totally stressed out (I know I did for my son's 3rd!). Enjoy the simplicity of cake and candles while you can!

marlie is offline Registered User
    Hi idiwani

We threw a party for our little girl back in June when she turned two. I tried to have it at My Gym but they told me that they were fully booked till September (and that was more than three months ago)! In the end we went to Gymboree and had a great time. We had about 15 kids and their parents - there was about 45 minutes free play and 15 minutes structured play (singing and dancing etc led by the Gymboree instructors) followed by cake, food and drinks. The whole thing lasted about an hour and a half, which is about the endurance level of the kids (as well as the parents)

The downside is that it was quite pricey - the fixed cost is quite high and it may not be worthwhile if you don't intend to invite a large group.

Hope this helps!

iwidiani is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for the late reply.

At the end, I decide not to get an entertainer until my son gets older. We will still have a party for him, a simple one, held at a function room of a club. I rent a play & learn centre from the internet. It is a simple form of a bouncy castle, with slide, tunnel and I am not sure what else inside.

I will also get a complementary rocking horse and a kitchen set. Guess that's enough to keep the kids occupied.

Hope everything turns up okay. will post the result.

cheeky_boy is offline Registered User

play and learn center

hi that sounds great.. could you give me the details of the place that rented these items to you?