Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breakouts during pregnancy

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User

Breakouts during pregnancy

I've been doing a lot of research about the type of topical acne treatments suitable for use during pregnancy and although most say to stay away from the commonly used saliycic acid, what I found contradicting was with the Mario Badescu Acne product line. MB claims that all their products are pregnancy friendly including their acne range which contains saliycic acid! For those who are familiar with MB's acne products, I've been using the Drying Lotion for a few a while and I'm now 6 weeks pregnant. My skin looks pretty bad, I really need to use something to help it clear up. I'm already using organic, all natural skin care products to lessen the sensitivity. Does anyone have any recommendations or know if using saliycic acid is actually ok?

Valencia is offline Registered User

Salicylic Acid is a definite no. First I think you should ask your doctor to prescribe an acne clearing product to you. Second, ask your doctor if it's ok to rub fresh aloe fresh on your face (a fresh aloe is just $10-30 and can last for a month in the fridge). Aloe can hydrate and tighten your skin. Just cut a thin slice and cut it into halves and rub. DON'T EAT ALOE DURING PREGNANCY.
    If you have allergies, then stop everything.

a mom is offline Registered User

Chy, I know your pain. In my last 2 pregnancies I had bad breakouts for first 12-16 weeks. In both, I was told by doctors to forget using anything that's not natural (and the effectiveness of natural products was close to nil). So apart from keeping the skin clean and drinking lots of water, I didn't do anything. By mid 2nd trimester the breakouts completely cleared up and I was left with fairly healthy skin. I know it sucks but the first trimester is the one in which your baby is most vulnerable to chemicals you use so I'd try to stay away from anything questionable. Hang in there.

Peng is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia
    DON'T EAT ALOE DURING PREGNANCY.
    If you have allergies, then stop everything.
    Valencia,
    I'm curious - why shouldn't pregnant women eat aloe vera? I know it's crying over spilt milk but I had some the other day!

Thanks.
    Peng

sandraw is offline Registered User

Dear Chy-
    There are animal studies, that show malformations if topical salicylic acid is used equivalent to 6 times the human treatment dose. It is absorbed through the skin and if it's used on large areas, it might be harmful to your baby.So it's probably not worth it.They are no human studies on that (as no drug company would run a controlled clinical trial on pregnant women for pretty much ANY drug).
    You could go and see Dr. Tinny Ho (at Quality Health Care,5th Floor Princess Building) for Skin Treatments, that are safe during pregnancy.I had glycolic acid peels with her during pregnancy and those were considered safe.
    Obviously you have to stay away from any preparation containing Vitamin A acids(Retin A),as those could be quite harmful to your baby,if used regularly during pregancy.
    Hope that helps.S

Valencia is offline Registered User

Peng,

I haven't done research on Aloe Vera, but I remember picking up a bottle of pure Aloe Vera juice (made in Australia) at Watsons' and read the instructions at the back: NOT SUITABLE FOR PREGNANT WOMEN AND CHILDREN. China bottled aloe vera don't have this instruction, and claim it is good for old and young people. What I know about Aloe is that it has a laxative effect. There are a lot more food that we Chinese believe not suitable for pregnant women, and I chose to believe they are.

Valencia