Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Adventist - do they have "walking epidurals" that allow walking around during labor?

mamamau is offline Registered User

Adventist - do they have "walking epidurals" that allow walking around during labor?

The nurse that showed us around somewhat said 'yes'. But now that I've read more about it, I'm not so sure if she understood what I meant... ("New" ideas seemed to be quite foreign to her anyway - she doesn't even know what a doula is! And she became quite defensive and told me to "just relax" when she realized I've done quite some homework, instead of being the obedient do-whatever-they-tell-you patient.)

So I was wondering if any of you have had a epidural at Adventist but was still able to walk around a bit. How did they manage the IV needs?

Thanks!

rani is offline Administrator
    I think these are questions for your Dr and the anethsoilogist. Each Dr is different and the mid-wives will follow the instructions of your Dr. You will be hooked up to the fetal monitor so don't think you'll be able to walk.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

capital is offline Banned
    Walking epidurals are lighter than the old ones, and you shouldn't have any trouble moving your legs around in bed, and might even still be able tp use a squatting bar, if available. But very few people can actually walk with them, and even if you could you would be very unsteady and wouldn't be able to walk around alone. My epiduarl (CANADA) was quite light which now is standard, I could still feel the contractions during labor, just not painful, then during pushing, they were painful. Afterwards, I got up to use the bathroom with the nurse, she wouldn't let me go by myself in case I fell, then later when I got up for the bathroom again I didn't call her, made it to the bathroom okay, but when I bent my knees to sit down I lost all strength and fell. This was a couple hours later. I don't know anyone who has actually walked around with a walking epidural

mamamau is offline Registered User
    Thanks for sharing the experience!

I've just asked my doctor and she said I'll be able to walk a bit but might feel weak on the legs. Pretty much like what you said, Capital. Thanks!
    I should hope to be able to use a squatting bar!