Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

breast to bottle

mammalicious is offline Registered User

breast to bottle

I took my 2wk old daughter out to her pediatrician for a chk up, and also went for my follow up with the OBGyne. I had expressed some breastmilk and put it into a bottle in case she needed it during the wait. But when she did start crying for food, and I tried to feed her with the bottle, she wouldn't take it at all, and I had to ask for a room to feed her from my breast... any suggestions on how to get her used to the bottle so I can at least have some flexibility? I'd like to eventually get her on to 1 bottle feed a day so my hubby can get involved.

ps- she's also not taking a pacifier... and a mom in the waiting room said we should always have one.. but my little one snubbed it when we tried one at home.

Su Mei is offline Registered User
    hi,

agreed that you should try to get your daughter to take a bottle as breastfeeding is hugely demanding and exhausting and you do need a break once in a while. Some people advocate trying to get baby to take a bottle as soon as possible, some people advocate waiting until they are at least about 1 month old (so they don't get nipple confusion) but before they are 3 months old (too accustomed to direct feeds). Also pick a time when your baby is not overly hungry (ie screaming for a feed and unlikely to be cooperative) or overly tired and maybe some place familiar eg. at home. Also helps if you don't give her the bottle initially but rather someone else like your husband or helper. If baby's not cooperating, give it a few days and try again. Once baby starts taking the bottle, give it regularly eg. once a day or once every other day (depending on how often you plan to give baby the bottle).

As for pacifiers, it's a very personal decision - there is no "should" rule to it at all, worth exploring all the pros and cons before you embark your baby down that route. We never gave our son a pacifier in his early months and we noticed by about 2 months old, he would suck his thumb (for a very short period) when he was very distressed or tired or trying to put himself to sleep, hence learning how to self-soothe. Personally I think you learn to "read" your baby better (and anticipate their needs) without using a pacifier, although it can be heaps more stressful! Again, it's a personal decision and there is no right or wrong.

Best of luck!

Sumei

carang is offline Registered User
    my boy, who is now 7 months old, very rarely takes a pacifier.. i think that he believes it's pointless, all this work and ....NO MILK!!!

as for trying a bottle, my boy has had both breast and bottle(formula) from the minute he was born without any problem...i don't believe all the stuff about nipple confusion(neither does the baby whisperer)...the other poster was right though, you will eventually need a break and i think that it's best to get her used to it sooner rather than later.

and lastly, you shouldn't feel like you need a separate room to breastfeed your child, ESPECIALLY at the doctor's office...it's something that you'll be doing for a long time and you should not feel ashamed to do it!

just my opinion though!

good luck with the feeding!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Generally the advice is not to give any bottles to a breastfed baby before about six weeks. This is for two reasons. The first is that until the baby is really accomplished at breastfeeding there is a danger than he will become confused and try to suck at the breast in the way he sucks at the bottle – this can result in him not getting enough milk at the breast and/or sore nipples for the mother. Of course not all babies suffer from this but one estimate is that 95% of newborns under three weeks do.

The second reason is during the first six weeks your milk supply is establishing and the introduction of bottles can interfere with the supply. The biggest danger is when you leave milk in your breasts for a long time – so although you earlier expressed milk to give the baby – it isn’t wise to skip the feed from the mother’s body point of view. Likewise a pacifier before six weeks is also not recommended.

Here are some tips that can be used if baby is reluctant to take the bottle:

• Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be too hungry,

• Wrap the baby in a piece of the mother’s clothing (blouse or nightgown, for example) while offering the bottle,

• Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth, try laying it near his mouth and allowing him to pull it in himself,

• Try running warm water over the bottle nipple to bring it up to body temperature,

• Try different types of bottle nipples to find a shape, a substance (rubber or silicone), and a hole size the baby will accept,

• Try different feeding positions. Some babies like to sit propped against the caregiver’s raised legs; others prefer not to look at the caregiver and will take a bottle better if they are held facing out, with their back against the caregiver’s chest,

• Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically – rocking, walking or swaying from side to side – because this may be calming to him,

• Insert the bottle nipple into the baby’s mouth when he’s sleeping,

• Keep trying, but remember that the baby can be fed the mother’s milk with a cup, spoon or eyedropper if the baby continues to refuse the bottle.

Best wishes,
    Barb

carang is offline Registered User
    sounds like good advice barb!

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    thank you all for such great advice.. i think i will try to introduce bottle feeding nearer to 4 weeks just to make sure my supply continues to be adequate, and to lessen the risk of confusion for my little girl. I feel like i'm going to go insane if I don't have a little more time to myself and 1 bottle feed every other day may give me that extra couple hours sleep or time to dash out for a walk.

any more comments are greatly appreciated... can only learn from other people's advice and hopefully not many of my own mistakes as well!!

THANKS!!

Barb - how difficult is using a feeding cup or syringe? surely for the syringe, it doesn't contain the amount of milk that she normally takes from my breasts at each feed? can you add any comments on how i use them, as at the hospital i never actually watched them using a cup or syringe so a bit worried i'll end up with my breastmilk all over the baby's chin or clothing and none in her belly! thanks ahead of time

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    A two week old breastfed baby has a stomach which is between 45 ml and 60 ml. So in fact your baby won’t be drinking that much at each feed. Please do not compare the amounts it says on the side of formula tins because they are hugely over estimated.

Generally if a baby will latch on it is recommended that you supplement him at the breast. There are instructions for this at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/5.html
    And a video clip at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
    Scroll down the page until you come to Lactation Aid. (Everything is in alphabetical order.)

If the baby is having problems latching on then finger feeding is suggested as this can help to train the baby to take the breast.
    There are instructions for this at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/8.html

There is another article, What to Feed the Baby When the Mother is Working Outside the Home at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/17.html which you might be interested in.

This web site belongs to Dr. Jack Newman. He is very pro breastfeeding and has a very direct way of speaking about it. The information he has on this site is very useful when mothers run into problems.

Best wishes,
    Barb

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Looking after a new baby can be very overwhelming and exhausting. This is one of the reasons that La Leche League has meetings - so that new mothers who are breastfeeding can get the support and encouragement they need to continue.

Dear Mammalicious, and anyone else who might be interested, you are most welcome to join our meeting tomorrow afternoon:

Title: What's so great about breast milk?
    Date: Tuesday September 13, 2005
    Time: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
    Address: Flat 2, 2nd Floor, Tower A, Villa Lotto, 18 Broadwood Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2817-7475

All our meetings are free and it is not necessary to be a member to join our meetings. Of course we do encourage membership as money from memberships and donations are our major sources of revenue. The format for all the meetings is similar. We spend the first part of the meeting discussing the meeting title topic and the second part of the meeting the topics which the mothers attending bring up. Thus every meeting is different depending on the needs of the mothers there.

The article Why La Leche League? http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/others/whylll.html
    gives a nice description of why our meetings may be helpful to attend.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast