Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hiring a helper personally NOT through an agency

H Woolf is offline Registered User

Hiring a helper personally NOT through an agency

Can someone please give me some advice on hiring a helper. I'm looking to hire a helper that I've found and we all like but she is coming to the end of her contract and is living in the same complex so would be hiring her directly as opposed to going through an agent. I've read the information from the Dept of Immigration and am a bit confused as is says the helpers but go back to their home country for a holiday before taking on a new contract. Can anyone shed some light on the correct procedures. Thanks

hunhun is offline Registered User
    If the helper you want to hire has or will FINISH her current contract, the Hong Kong immigration may let you use her service for one year before she needs to take a holiday to go home.

On the contrary, if the helper is going to break her contract to work for you, then she will most likely need to go back to the Philippines and wait for the visa issued by the HK immigration dept.

Either way, you can just hire her directly without the help of an agent if you or your helper knows what to do, although the Phillipino consulate may want you to have an agent stamped on the contracts, in such case, you can just pay a few hundred bucks to an agent to do that.
    CAILLOU

CASPER

Thanks for that - we obviously just want to make sure we are doing everything correctly. She will be finishing her contract - so do we need to fill in any forms for the gov or will the helper do all that if she knows what she's doing?

Both parties will need to fill in some forms, which can be obtained from the immigration department in Wanchai. After filling them in, you or your helper will need to take the four green signed contracts to the Philippines Consulate in Admiralty for notorisation (stamped). After that, you have to take the stamped contracts along with the rest of the forms back to the immigration tower.
    CAILLOU

CASPER

You can ask the helper to do all that running around. Most helpers who have worked in Hong Kong know the ins and outs of the procedures.
    CAILLOU

CASPER

rani is offline Administrator
    hun is right, most helpers are familar with the procedures and can handle all the paperwork themselves. the only think I would recommend is tp submit your proof of income personally to immigration. I personally feel helpers don't need to see copies of your bank statement/tax papers. I was 7 months pregnant when we hired our 1st helper and she managed all the paperwork. Within the first couple of months she started asking us for loans, $7K which we gave her, next time she asked for $25K!!!
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Hi there thank you all for your advice and help - I just have one more querey on this helper guff as we are in the middle of crossing the t's and dotting the i's.... Hunhun mentioned above that if you are hiring a helper after the completion of her 2 yr contract that the home leave can be deferred by one year - if this accurate and do we have to pay for the tickets then? I understand that we are responsible for paying for the tickets at the end of the 2 yr contract but what about after the 1 yr deferred leave? Thanks again!

The previous employer should have given the air-ticket or it's equivalent amount to the helper at the end of her previous contract. So, you shouldn't have to pay for that. You can double check that with the immigration department: telephone: 28246111 or [email protected]
    CAILLOU

CASPER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast