Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Annerley mid-wives / Matilda antenatal classes

Prego1 is offline Registered User

I thought the Annerly classes and Hulda were fantastic!

I took the classes at Annerly over the Matilda classes b/c it was more convenient location for my husband and me. We made some great friends through the class, but more importantly, I got to know Hulda. Hulda was my douhla during labor. She came to my home during some steady contractions to check me. She is so reassuring and calm and helped me labor at home. When we did get to the hospital, because we didn't use any interventions (no epidural), I delivered within an hour of arriving at the hospital naturally.

I love my husband and while being effective in getting me pregnant, he admits to being pretty useless during my pre-labor stage. Hulda kept me calm and relaxed and confident that I could get through it. I cannot recommend her enough from my ideal labor experience that took place just two weeks ago. Even if we move from Hong Kong, I feel that I will have to fly Hulda in or deliver in Hong Kong b/c I can't imagine being in better hands.

I'm having post-natal home visits with Hulda also. Normally, you can't put a price on peace of mind, but Annerly's charges are quite reasonable for it.

NewBabyLA is offline Registered User
    Im in the process of booking either Annerley - Babies and Beyond or Family zone antenatal classes - Annerley covers quite a lot compared to Family zone - who have broken down their classes into different sections (Antenatal and Baby Basics). Price is really not the issue, but quality. Can anyone advise which is better?

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Annerley also does hypnobirthing which is different from all the other antenatal classes. We had Tamara teach us who was also pregnant at the time (which I thought was unique) and Hulda came for my home visits. I love Hulda! She relaxes you and puts you at ease and gives you the confidence you need being a first time mum. LLL are also great especially because they specialize in breastfeeding and Yvonne is also a great teacher. We went to her first aid and CPR classes. I think with her job (Hulda) is that she is on call as a doula so sometimes the other midwives/health visitors need to step in.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I went to the Annerley antenatal classes and they were ok. Not really much more info than I had already read in books though. I also had home visits with Annerley for my first baby (I bought a package which included the home visits and the antenatal classes). The home visits were useful but my baby was very good and I had received excellent advice on breastfeeding while at Matilda so I didn't need all 5 home visits. Next time, I would have just organised the home visits separately depending on how I was going and how much help I needed.

Cis
    Cis is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I am attending the Annerley antenatal course with Tamara and I am quite disappointed. I haven't learnt anything new so far. You can read the same things in a book saving lots of money!

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I had booked the antenatal/hypnobirthing classes with Annerley in that package also and I found the home visits super helpful. I guess you don't know how much help you need until you have the baby and bring him/her home. I wasn't super impressed with the classes, but I had done a lot of reading so I think it's really helpful for people that had NOOOO idea at all what was going to happen. I did find the baby care class really helpful though--swaddling and not using commercial wipes for the first month because baby skin is sooo sensitive. I had trouble breastfeeding at first so Hulda was so important because she encouraged me to persevere and I was able to and you don't have to leave your house! So maybe for some, the 5 pack home visits is not useful, but for a first time mom, I think it's pretty great and you save a bit of money having the package. I know Yvonne Heavyside of Family Zone also does the same and I've heard she is a great person to come visit you as well.

kp928ny is offline Registered User
    I also want to say that I had Hudla as my doula and took classes at Annerley. Hulda was fantastic and my husband and I were so grateful to have her there with us for the birth of our son. Being new to HK (1 year at time of birth) and first time parents it was great to have someone to turn to if we had questions. I ended up going into labor during a typhoon. We live in Clearwater Bay and I was booked into the Matilda. She came to my house checked how far along I was and then drove me and my husband to the hospital. She stayed thru the entire birth and helped my husband and I make important decisions after it was determined I needed to have an emergency c-section. She came to our house after the birth (6 times)to check on the baby and make sure I was coping ok. It was great to know that she would come to me because the thoughts of having to trudge into Central or Matilda from Clearwater Bay....uugghh. I highly recommend her and Annerley.

Robinson is offline Registered User
    I agree with the post by Jenny B. You can learn a lot from reading, but it's really nice to have it reinforced and to be able to ask questions. It's also a good way to get hubbies involved and meet other people who are at a similar stage in their pregnancy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12