Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Annerley mid-wives / Matilda antenatal classes

MamaT is offline Registered User

Annerley mid-wives / Matilda antenatal classes

Has anyone used the Annerley mid-wives or heard of anyone who has? I'm interested in either their or the Matilda antenatal classes.

Also, does anyone know if Matilda does post-natal home visits in the weeks after the births?

I've just come over from the UK at 28 weeks pregnant and am hoping the postnatal support is comparable here. Can anyone advise me on postnatal support here?

jane01 is offline Registered User

I used Annerley midwives (Hulda Thorley) after my daughter was born in May 03. She was fantastic and really sorted out our b/f problems.

I also attended the Matilda antenatal classes and found them very helpful. So far as I know they don't do home visits after the birth, but:

1) they were very patient with me phoning the midwives after I'd checked out to ask questions for a couple of days; and
    2) they have a well baby clinic that you can visit which is apparently very good (although I didn't attend it as it was too far away).

Hope that helps

rani is offline Administrator

MamaT,

Yvonne Heavyside who conducts the Matilda Ante-Natal classes is a Health Visitor and does home visits after birth. She also runs antenatal classes at her own centre in Central

http://www.geobaby.com/com/mxdirecto...e-family-zone/

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

MamaT is offline Registered User

Thanks guys. Have booked the Annerley mid-wives antenatal classes - they're the closest and seemed very helpful.

iwidiani is offline Registered User

I had the antenatal classes in Annerley (by Hulda). She explained everything clearly. I could also call her one late night when I was having gastric like pain while my ob-gyn was out of town. She helped me as best as she could by the phone.

After the birth, I engaged Hulda again as I was having so much problem with the b/f.

Overall, I was so lucky to have her assisted me throughout.

nchern44 is offline Registered User

Very Disappointed

I just had an appointment last week with Annerly Midwives. I actually made the appointment with Hulda and was given someone else. I had a specific breastfeeding problem and was given no information that I already did not know. I actually had much better advice from the LaLeche Group leader from Guangzhou who was not only free, but seemed to actually care about my problem. I was recommended by several people to see Hulda, so I cannot comment on her services...but it was unprofessional to switch midwives without letting me know in advanced.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    Just to come to Hulda's defence on this one. Hulda is actually on call all the time 24/7, so if someone goes into labour she's there at your house, then accompanies you to the hospital and stays with you throughout the labour; and in my case this was a very long time!!! I would think that the reason for the switch was that she was on call for someone who was in labour. I understand that this must have been frustrating, but having had Hulda support me through my labour I would be pleased to think that she was helping someone else bring another beautiful baby into the world. Once my daughter was born I also had to see other midwives from Annerley and found them to be very helpful and professional. I am a member of La Leche League Hong Kong and you are right, their advice on breast feeding is second to none. They are the experts as their focus is on breastfeeding and have all breastfed their own children; and there's nothing like first hand experience. Remember midwives have other medical knowledge about everything to do with pregnancy and labour. I'm glad you got the advice you needed and maybe you might consider joining the La Leche League as a member, so that you can continue to support this wonderful organisation.

Jools

JennyB is offline Registered User

The original poster has already booked her antenatal classes and I am sure the Matilda classes are great too, but I just wanted to say that I thought Hulda's classes were fantastic, the main reason being she is a great personality to get a relaxed discussion going in the class, as opposed to just giving a lecture. I found this really helpful to fully absorb information which I had read elsewhere but had previously seemed sterile facts on a page. If you are already well informed from reading, you probably won't learn anything earth-shatteringly new in an antenatal class; it is all about making women and their partners feel more confident and relaxed in labour by making them feel fully informed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast