Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Equipment Rental In Hong Kong

OOLONG is offline Registered User

Question Baby Equipment Rental In Hong Kong

We Are Living In Malaysia And My Wife Expect Twins. She Wants To Go Back To Hong Kong To Give Birth, But Plan To Come Back To Malaysia After That.
    We Have A Logistical Problem For The Baby Equipment (specially Twins Combined With Small Hk Apartment) And Are Considering To Rent The Mininum We Need During The First Months And Then Purchase Separetely In Malaysia.
    Does Anyone Know Places Were Such Baby Equipment Can Be Rented, Alternatively Being Bought On The Second Hand Market.
    As Ultime Alternative, We Could Consider Also To Purchase (for Use In March 2006) Some Equipment From Parents Having Twins A Bit Earlier Than Us And Considering To Find A New Home For Their Baby Equipment.
    Thanking You For Your Help And Support

rani is offline Administrator
    The YWCA rent baby equipment on a weekly basis. But I would think it would be cheaper to buy everything 2nd hand. You can check our classifieds for ads, http://www.geoexpat.com/classifieds/ or place an ad yourself.

Also try DB Fleamarket

http://www.dbfleamarket.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

jdang is offline Registered User

Arrow

Oolong,

Just curious, why does your wife want to come to to HK for the twins birth? Is it because her family is here & she'd get some help once the babies are delivered? What about you plan, would you be here with her to accompany her throughout?

I got pregnant with twins during the SARS period while living here in Dongguan & choose to give birth back in Malaysia. (Your situation now, in reverse!). Looking back I would've have done it differently, have the babies in HK & bring them back to Dongguan & 'import' the help needed for a few months. It was a lot of work looking for an apartment & setting up a household all over again. As the due date was approaching, it was hard & lonely, the sleepless nights, the discomfort of a heavy belly & having to balance the opinions of the people around when I would rather have my husband beside me. I gave birth at 38weeks without any complications. The babies were small compared to singletons but very healthy, the doctors & facilities in Gleneagles Hospital were really excellent & they took care of us very well. It was after that, during the period when the babies were too small to travel & my husband has to be back here for work that was tough going. I've had the occassional help from my in'laws (who promised to be there 100% earlier) but most of the time I have to juggle the babies & household (i.e.cooking, laundry, groceries, bills, repair) with the help of a maid. It was a very tiring time. Coming back here was much better with my husband & staff around to do handle all these chores while I can focus on taking care of my babies.

The hard work starts after the birth. Whatever your decision is, try to make sure that your wife gets your emotional support & presence before & after birth.

OOLONG is offline Registered User

Question

Thank you for kind message, we appreciated your comments.

Our decision is based on the fact that the family is in Hong Kong combined to the fact that we would like them to remain Chinese in addition to have my nationality. Unfortunately, the answer we got from the immigration dept. in HK was really not clear and was leaving to much uncertainties to get the HK premanent resident status if born in Malaysia (even if my wife is Chinese).

We can share also your appreciation of the Gleanagles Hospital, the doctor is there and we just went there yesterday, service looks even better than the Pantai Hospital and our doctor has a good and positive education reassuring us.

So, this weekend, we want to have a look of what we need for the twins:

What are your recommendations? What should we do or not do?
    What should we buy first?

Any advise is highly appreciated !

Best regards

jdang is offline Registered User
    I can understand your situation. A book I highly recommend :

Everything You Need To Know To Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy by Gila Leiter, M.D., - DTP (Dell Trade Paperback). Got my copy from Kinokuniya.