Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

CryoLife - did you have to get your blood tested AGAIN right before birth?

mamamau is offline Registered User

CryoLife - did you have to get your blood tested AGAIN right before birth?

The sales representative said I would have to have my blood tested again when I get admitted to the hospital - the tests I did during week 12 (including Hepatitis, HIV, etc.) were deemed "too long ago" and she said every mother has to get her blood tested AGAIN "to protect the interest of CryoLife". But I've heard some mothers did get waived on this??

I'm most mad because the sales representative claimed that I would have to have my blood tested at the Adventist anyway - even if I bring along my pregnancy blood test reports. But this doesn't seem to be true. Can someone tell me their experience with cord blood collection at Adventist?

Thanks!

Slee is offline Registered User
    There's a really interesting article in the September Junior Baby about the benefits of not cutting the cord straight away. It can boost heomoglobin levels by up to 40% as blood will keep pumping into bubs until the cord stops pulsing. The only downside to this is that you can't bank blood as there's not enough left. However, one person interviewed made the point 'why choose to keep the blood for a health problem that is only a possibility when there is a real benefit now to giving baby that blood'.

Mousugumama is offline Registered User

I didn't have to ... at least in April

Hi. We used them when I had my twins in April. I gave birth at Matilda but they did not ask for additional test. We just brought the blood collection kit to the operationg theater and they collected them later that day.