Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ADHD - help! Need infos.

Sagacity is offline Registered User

About ADHD

ADHD is a developmental disorder with different tendency. That means, some children have more serious problems in behaviour while some kids just have slight and inconsistent behavioural issues in different situations and environments. Professionals, like teachers, etc., would only classify the kids with serious behavioural problems as ADHD kids. But from a new professional perspective, some kids do have ADHD but are not classified as having "disorder". It's just like having depressive moods, depression or depressive disorder. They are just showing different severity of depression on the depression scale. It's the same for ADHD.

My older son has a tendency of hyperactivity and impulsivity and can be easily distracted. But he is not so serious to the extend that he needs medication. I myself is a psychologist-to-be. I'm training him using some behavioural therapy so that he could control himself in certain circumstances. And I keep my eyes closely on him. If I've noticed that his hyperactivity tendency has become more serious, I'll bring him to his paedi as she's very good at treating ADHD kids. But so far, my son is doing fine in primary 1. Sometimes, all we parents need to do is to allow them to grow into what they are meant to be, as long as they are trained to know what is right and wrong as well as protect themselves from dangers. Most of the ADHD kids are very intelligent and creative. My son is really creative and original. Once I've accepted that, I would allow him to do things in his impulsive ways if circumstance allows that.

Below is how to diagnose and classify ADHD:

a) There are three subtypes of ADHD. One of which is the Inattentive type which is characterized by the presence of 6 or more symptoms of inattentiveness present for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive. Symptoms include: inattention to details, careless mistakes, difficulty sustaining attention, not listening when spoken to, not following through on instructions, failure to finish tasks, difficulty organizing tasks, avoidance or dislike of tasks requiring sustained mental effort, easy distractibility, often losing things, and frequent forgetfulness. This happens in 30-40% of the ADHD population.

b) The Hyperactive/Impulsive type is characterized by the presence of 6 or more symptoms of hyperactivity/impulsivity present for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive. Symptoms include: fidgeting, leaving one’s seat, running/climbing excessively in inappropriate situations, difficulty playing/working quietly, “on the go” or acting as if driven by a motor, excessive talking, blurting out answer before questions have been completed, difficulty waiting one’s turn, and often interrupting or intruding on others. This is in 10% of individuals of ADHD.

c) The Combined type is characterized by the presence of 6 or more symptoms of hyperactivity/impulsivity and 6 or more symptoms of inattentiveness present for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive. This is in 50-60% of individuals.

Hope the above info is helpful to you. If you still want amsecond opinion, you can try my son's paedi: Dr. Eunice Wong, 2858-2183. Her clinic is in Central.

Quote Originally Posted by ollyvia
    Hi....

My daughter has just been recently diagnosed with ADHD when I took her for a check up a few days ago. She's 4 1/2 years old. All the symptoms that I told the paedi match this category - such as fidgeting, clumsiness, easily distracted, talks excessively, can't sit/stay still, etc. But when I brought this up to her teachers at school, they said she's absolutely fine, and to them, she definitely is not an ADHD child. And according to them, usually the childern with ADHD will show the symptoms throughout the day, not only at home.

Now I'm thinking about getting a second opinion.
    Can anybody recommend me someone who's good in detecting this illness? Does anybody have children with ADHD and care to share with me the signs and symptoms I should be looking at, and how or where to treat her?

All your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Worried Mommy :(
    Last edited by Sagacity; 10-17-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Allergies

If your daughter is just having running nose and rash, especially not immediately after having certain kinds of food, she should be allergic to dust mites which are hidding in her mattress and pillow. She is just one of the 90% of those who are suffering from allergies. Just use the anti-dustmite encasings would be fine for her. Don't get those encasings with medication or chemical. Go for the ones which are tightly woven with medication so that the dustmite waste won't come out. BTW, I'm using them myself and for my sons.

Quote Originally Posted by ollyvia
    HappyV:
    Yeah.... my daughter does have rash and runny nose that come and go every now and then. That's why now I'm more certain that maybe it's her diet (?). I should've mentioned this to her paedi, but she should know this right? And you know how fast the doctors in HK just label the children? This is why I'm thinking about getting a second opinion.
    And she still naps in the afternoon (when she doesn't have other activity after school) and goes to bed at 9, I think that's reasonable right?

Does anybody know any good homeopath? I'm thinking about seeing one for my daughter.

Thanks again.

Repeating K1??

It's hearbreaking to read personal experience like this. You must have suffered a lot. It's interesting that my husband saved this discussion thread on my computer and when I came across your discussion, I had an urge to respond to all the postings.

I can see both you and your daughter is experiencing a lot of stress. It could be the way of your daughter to handle her stress like that at school. I can't imagine there's a kindergarten which requests a 3-year old to repeat K1. Repeating K1!!! Teachers are meant to be loving for and understanding on children. Yet, I doubt those teachers and principal really knows what real child development is. This little being is simply trying her best to learn many new skills and cope with new changes in her life. Please give children rooms and time to develop themselves, following their own interests and talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia
    Barb and HappyV,

Thanks for the articles. I've always have doubts about ADHD. Sometimes people make fun of my daughter having ADHD, but they never mean it seriously. My daughter used to be emotionally very unstable, and I know I am highly responsible for this, partly our style of living and partly hereditary. I remember her having an extremely difficult time at school (being unattentive and emotional outbreaks) and at home (always crying and screaming) between 3 1/2 and 3 3/4 years old, and I was considering sending her to a full day nursery during the holidays. Yet suddenly came the cure, we took her to the playground for 5 consecutive days during Easter, and she was reported very calm and stable for 1 whole week at school and in the restaurants.

Then when she failed her mid-term exams her teacher in class suggested her to repeat K1 and the principal made several suggestions of my daughter having problems not yet detected. Now she is in K2 and the principal says she's fine except for her phonological problems. LABELLING IS A HORRIBLE AND DISASTROUS THING. IT'S NO DIFFERENT FROM PUTTING YOU IN AN ASYLUM. WHAT'S WRONG WITH OUR SOCIETY TODAY IS LABELLING A PERSON TOO EARLY.

Valencia is offline Registered User

Hi, Sagacity,

Thank you very much for your care. You're right. Every time she had an exam I was freaking out. She couldn't recognise the alphabet and the Chinese characters, she couldn't write. What could I do? She's only 3! When my daughter was invited to repeat K1, my response was NO. I don't want her to be bored by repeating the same things all over again. My decision is proved right. She is doing fine this year. I was talking to my husband if she had repeated this year, what would have happened to her, wasting her time with an inexperienced teacher? Her class teacher is just GREAT this year, experienced and patient. I see the difference right in the second week of the new semester. A good teacher makes all the difference.

I suspect one of the reasons for their asking her to repeat is their lack of new students. The principal told me another child in her class was invited to repeat because he did not like writing (Ridiculous!).

In the good old days, I went to kindergarten at four and learned the alphabet at five. My daughter is outdoing me and I'm very satisfied. I've been a private tutor for many years and it's sad to see parents pushing their children so hard.

Last edited by Valencia; 10-17-2005 at 11:24 PM.

About ADHD

Hi, Sagacity,

Thanks for your explanation on ADHD. However, I've always had doubts about this term. My brother and I were hyperactive when we were children, and so is my daughter. I see hyperactivity as a healthy sign. I see hyperactivity as a disease unaccepted by our modern civilised world. As for attention deficit, it is a problem in terms of education. As long as the children are obedient and quiet at school, no one will suspect them of ADHD, even if they do poorly in exams. For those who are both disruptive and poor in exams, people have a term to blame. If a child is hyperactive, why not train him to be an athlete instead of asking him to sit still? If a child can't sit still, I'll blame the school syllabus and the teacher instead of ADHD, especially in HK!

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Hi Valencia,

It sounds to me as though your daughter is a normal little girl of 4, who is on the lively & talkative side. My advice would be to be sure she gets plenty of outdoor exercise and stuff to do w/ her hands at home.

My son (now 7) tends to fidget w/ his hands. When he was younger I gave him little pots of play-do to play with at home and on the road.

He and my older girl also like playing with Duplo & Lego and sewing and stitching. IMHO, many children aren't meant to sit quietly in small flats, they need to use their bodies for both small motor activity and large.

Even things like rinsing the rice can be an enjoyable and calming actvity for small ones.

Totally agree, Loupou. As for the hand fidgeting matter, when I am tutoring my students one-to-one, most of them are playing with their pencils and rubbers and moving or rocking with their chairs, even though they are paying attention.

Loving mom

Hi Valencia,

I can see that your daughter is raised in a family with love and understanding. I'm so happy for your daughter having a new and caring teacher this year. You've done a good job not accepting the "offer" to let your daughter repeat K1. To me, children are blessings from God. I teach Bible studies to children from 2 to 6 and this is the most extraordinary job I've ever done in my life. Yesterday, a new boy came to my class and I greeted him saying "Welcome, Caleb". But his reply was "I'm not Caleb. I am Super Caleb!!" See how lovely they are. :lovedface

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia
    Hi, Sagacity,

Thank you very much for your care. You're right. Every time she had an exam I was freaking out. She couldn't recognise the alphabet and the Chinese characters, she couldn't write. What could I do? She's only 3! When my daughter was invited to repeat K1, my response was NO. I don't want her to be bored by repeating the same things all over again. My decision is proved right. She is doing fine this year. I was talking to my husband if she had repeated this year, what would have happened to her, wasting her time with an inexperienced teacher? Her class teacher is just GREAT this year, experienced and patient. I see the difference right in the second week of the new semester. A good teacher makes all the difference.

I suspect one of the reasons for their asking her to repeat is their lack of new students. The principal told me another child in her class was invited to repeat because he did not like writing (Ridiculous!).

In the good old days, I went to kindergarten at four and learned the alphabet at five. My daughter is outdoing me and I'm very satisfied. I've been a private tutor for many years and it's sad to see parents pushing their children so hard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Scroll to top