Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cannan kindergarten

bunda is offline Registered User

Smile cannan kindergarten

Hi everyone,
    anybody have some information about cannan kindergarten?
    is this school good?

thank you

Valencia is offline Registered User
    It's a prestigious kindergarten. Somebody told me the other day by K3 the students have to read Chinese by sentences.

carang is offline Registered User
    i worked there for 2 years a while ago. what exactly would you like to know?

Nicmum is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I've just visited Cannan Kindergarten few days ago. It's a good one with clean environment and very spacious. Their playgroup is for 15months baby onward and nursery from 2 year old. However their playgroup is being
    conducted mainly in Cantonese. Nursery classes with be host by 1 native english teacher and 1 local. Teacher/student ratio will be 1:10.

It's overall a good kindergarten with reasonable school fees.

Joyce is offline Registered User
    My 28 month old has been going to Cannan Kindergarten on Caine Road since August and loves it. It is something she looks forward to everyday! I went to visit the school in person and felt that the teacher and principle was very helpful and took time to answer my questions. There is no homework as such, except there is a story and song book that you read/sing through with your child. The lessons are mainly conducted in cantonese though there are some classes taught by native English and Mandarin teachers.

Joyce is offline Registered User
    Oh, I forgot - there are about 20 other children in her class though there are other assistants on hand to help.

Valencia is offline Registered User
    Hi Carang,

Since you've worked there for 2 years you should know best. Could you answer my questions? Do the kids there do 2 digit addition by K3? Do they get accepted by prestigious primary schools like Marymount and DGS like most kindies in Kowloon Tong? Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    well, it was a very long time ago that i worked there. when i worked there, there were sometimes 48 students in a class. if you search the archive of the south china morning post, they were actually fined for overcrowding.

i was a native English teacher there. at that time, i spent 20 minutes in each class each day. the rest of the day was cantonese. there was a native Mandarin teacher that came a few times per week. this may have changed since i was there.

as for acceptance into "prestigeous" schools. that does not depend on the kindergaten that the child attended. it depends on the abilities of the child him/herself.

if you want a four year old to do double digit mathematics, you are crazy. i'm sorry, but in my ten years of teaching in HK i cannot tell you the number of times parents set unrealistic expectations on their children. a four year old, or even a five year old should NOT be able or expected to do this type of mathematics.

a child at this age, should be learning how to hold a pencil properly, maybe even how to write his/her name. they should be learning how to make friends, how to interact with people, manners, how to share, how to use their imagination, NOT complex mathematics.

this is one of the reasons that i left teaching in a "local" school/kindergarten setting.

please, PLEASE allow your child to be a child. they will have enough pressure as they get older(please note child/teenage suicide rates in HK). do not pressure them at this age!

these last few paragraphs are of course my own humble opinion. i DO understand the competition to get into the "prestigeous" schools, however, if your child is well rounded, he/she will have a better chance. the same holds true for international schools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast