Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

control crying

carang is offline Registered User
    an hour, maybe more...

howowow is offline Registered User
    My baby girl throws up after crying for only a few minutes, every single time. Control crying will definately not work on her, seeing as we'll have to clean her cot out after each initial attempt. This is why control crying never really got off the ground for us! Anyone else have this messy problem?
    Last edited by howowow; 10-07-2005 at 11:29 PM.

shalom is offline Registered User

Talking

hi gals, just want to give you an update of what's going on so far.

we started control crying at 8 pm last night. he was really really tired and cranky. we started with one minute interval ( my husband and i are both softies in this). after about 5- 10 mins of crying, he vomitted. we cleaned him up and continue the control crying. i was expecting the worst. it was so heartbreaking to see him cry. each time i went in, he just grabbed my shirt and begging me to pick him up. it was so difficult and i nearly cried myself. finally, he slept after 35 mins of crying. kevin and i were amazed as we expected longer. he woke up again at 2 which i fed him and he went straight back to sleep. poor guy must be really exhausted.

today, he woke up at 6.30 and kevin and i hugged him and ****ed him so much to compensate for last night. for morning nap, he cried for 24 mins before falling asleep on him own. for afternoon nap, he cried for 10 mins. we were really amazed that it took such a short time. i was expecting something like an hour or so of crying. for tonight, he cried for..............believe it or not, 7 mins. if i know it's going to be so easy i would have started weeks ago when my sleep was so deprived. however, it's too early to make any judgement now as today is only day 2. but we are encouraged by what we have seen and we are hoping that it will take shorter than a week for him to totally settle down. thanks for sharing your experience with me.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Shalom - CONGRATULATIONS

I'm glad to hear that it worked so well for you. As you say, early days yet, but looks like your little one is learning quickly.

Regarding the 2am feeding - are you happy to continue doing this? If not, you may want to consider the possibility of a "dream feed" immediately before you go to bed, then no more milk until a certain time in the morning.
    A dream feed, or rollover feed, is a feed given whilst they are still asleep or barely awake in a darkened room (maybe with just a nightlight or torch).

Some background from us - my daughter liked to snack and play all day (no sleeps, or only short catnaps) and feed all night. At 3-6 months I was up every hour or two from midnight onwards and was exhausted as I wasn't getting any rest during the day.

At 6 months she was a big healthy baby and after being told by the midwife she was physically capable of sleeping through, I decided she needed some encouragement.

I put her to bed at 7pm, then dream fed at 10pm'ish. I then refused to feed her until 5am. The first night she was probably quite hungry ! I just gave her whatever comfort I could but did not feed her. She didn't cry much as long as she had her dummy, but woke frequently expecting to be fed. She fed really well the next day, which was unusual. Within 2 weeks she was sleeping reliably through the night and eventually, wasn't waking until 6.30/7am which is reasonable. I dropped the dream feed at about 9 months, as she didn't seem to need it anymore.

I found that she was a much happier baby during the day after she was getting decent blocks of sleep at night. The change was quite incredible.

I hope that experience helps a little.

dear jane,
    thanks for sharing with me. well, the second night of control crying he slept from 8 to 5.30 am. took him 7 minuites of crying before he fell asleep. a miracle!!!!!!!!!! but at 5.30 when he woke up i decided to feed him and continue control crying because it's too early for him to wake up. it took 51 minutes of crying to make him go back to sleep and he slept till 9 am which i had to wake him up cos it's too late in the morning already. last night, he slept at 8.30 after believe it or not, 45 seconds of crying. and he slept till 7.30 in the morning in which also, i had to wake him up because i was afraid it will affect his day time nap. but i am still having trouble making him take his day time nap. today, he cried for an hour for his afternoon nap after which i gave up and picked him up and abandoned the plan for an afternoon nap. i dont understand why it's so easy for control crying to work for night time sleep but not for day time nap. i am having such difficulty with morning and afternoon nap. any suggestion?

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Shalom you are really doing well ! Wish I could get my daughter to sleep to 7.30am !

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but I have a few tips from my daughter and also girls in my mothers group have used:

1. routine - at 8 months he'd still be having 2 naps? When he is tired, but not over tired, put him down at the same time. Same clothes and routine as night time (skip the bath).
    2. How dark is the room during the day? My daughter responded well to a dark room.
    3. Tire them out - especially as they start crawling and walking. Maybe go for a walk in the fresh air - I used to take a picnic blanket to the park and let my daughter crawl around the grass.
    4. Off to bed with a dry nappy, warm but not hot and a full tummy.

I've heard that daysleeps can take longer than nights to sort out, just stick with it.

Good luck.

Slee is offline Registered User
    I just wanted to say well done Shalom for sticking it out :-) I didn't want to say it earlier in case you found it took longer, but our daughter took two nights as well to 'get with the program'.

P.S. It's amazing hearing you talk about your 8 month old as it seemed like just a few months ago that you were anouncing that you no longer needed fertility advice as you were pregnant :-)

giggle!!!! thanks slee!!!!!!!! i really wanted a baby after i was married last year and tried for about 6 month and started thinking that i might be infertile. i was so surprised that in the midst of finding out about the cost of fertility treatment i got pregnant. now i am dealing with an 8 month old. gosh, how time flies!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast