Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

When to start using toothpaste?

Graham is offline Registered User

When to start using toothpaste?

Just wondering when to start using toothpaste for brushing our son's teeth?

He's now 16 months old and has about 16 to 18 teeth already.

At the moment we use a rubber-headed baby toothbrush to brush his teeth but just use water only no toothpaste.

Our normal routine is that I let him brush his teeth for a while and then I take over and help him to brush them, as often he'll just chew the toothbrush or throw it away. After finishing with the toothbrush, I also use a wet hanky wrapped around my little finger to clean his teeth and inside his mouth.

However, we have noticed that sometimes recently his mouth is a bit smelly, which is why I'm wondering about toothpaste.

Graham

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    Toothpaste is generally not considered necessary until the age of 3. But my son wanted toothpaste on his brush way before that because he wanted to do things just like mommy and daddy. As long as he was breastfeeding (2yrs10mths) I never found his breath smelly. But once he stopped it did. Your son is quite young and will swallow toothpaste so find one without flouride. I've seen one long back in Wing On. Don't know where else they keep flouride free toothpaste. Also use only a small amount (pea size) on the brush if you intend to start using toothpaste.

Karishma is offline Registered User
    My daughter is 10 mths now and we started using toothpaste as soon as she got her first 2 teeth. ie: 8 mths. She now has abt 4 teeth and we brush everyday with a dab of toothpaste. Bumps to babes sells this toothpaste called 'MILKTEETH' and it says its from 0-6 and not so much flouride in it so its ok if they swallow a little. However I just also feel its cleaner and their breath smells alot nicer esp if they hv thrown up. I know alot of ppl say they dont need toothpaste but i look at it this way....they have teeth,they r eating solids which is like us adults....so why should they not brush their teeth?

hope this helps
    K.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    I didn't say kids should not brush their teeth. When teeth appear in the mouth they NEED brushing. Toothpaste is not necessary but brushing is. Swallowing flouride is not good for kids. You can't be sure how much they've swallowed. So try to get a flouride free toothpaste.
    Last edited by scr; 10-06-2005 at 05:33 PM.

hkgirl is offline Registered User
    I was told by the dentist in Canada that fluoride is not good for babies especially because it is harmful to developing teeth (so much that even when I was pregnant they didn't give me a flouride treatment). I got fluoride free toothpaste for infants in Canada, so that is the best option if they have it here in Hong Kong and your child wants toothpaste. Otherwise, it's probably best to contact a dentist directly for advice about when to start with regular toothpaste. I think it's best to wait until three years as mentioned in the other reply.
    I think it's great that you are brushing your childs teeth regularly though. The dental hygiene in Hong Kong seems to leave a lot to be desired. I used to teach in a local school and many of the children had rotting teeth. Very sad.
    Hope this helps.

Sara is offline Registered User
    We use "Orajel" Toddler Training Toothpaste. Safe to swallow. Fluoride free.

Sara.

Kimmi is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Toothpaste

Ive been a Dental Nurse for the past 22 years. Worked both in the UK and Australia. We always recommended using toothpaste with fluoride from the start. Fluoride helps to keep teeth strong and helps prevent decay. Fluoride is only harmfull in massive doses. Ive used the milk teeth by macleans and baby 1st toothpaste 0-6 by colgate for my child since her 1st little teeth came through. Using the mint flavour also gets them used to toothpaste for later on.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Toothpaste also gets them to enjoy teeth brushing if they like the taste. Can create a positive mental association. If you only put a tiny amount on (we have been brushing twice a day for nearly a year and are still on our first tube!) then there can't be too much harm in swallowing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast