Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

can't hold baby

kellyst is offline Registered User

Unhappy can't hold baby

i have a weird question. with feeding, seems like the baby has been smelling my milk and wouldn't let me hold her without fussing for a feed. she is ALWAYS rooting and unsettled when i hold her, always looking for a feed even when she's not hungry, and almost immediately settles down when i passes her to the helper.

it's breaking my heart that i can't even hold my own baby, seems like i'm upsetting her when i hold her. does anybody experienced the same? anyway to get around it?

--kellyst

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    How are you holding your baby?
    My babies would fuss and start to root if I held them in my arms but if I stood them up across my shoulder they would settle down and usually go to sleep when little.
    Barb

kellyst is offline Registered User
    thanks. yes, i think holding them next to the shoulders helped a bit, she still fusses a bit though, i felt like she still smells the milk near and get confused that she's suppose to start eating. i don't know if it's all in my head, or maybe i'm just not holding her right.

i've been trying to get her nose as far from the breast area as possible, e.g. holding her higher up in arms or against shoulders, even go as far as putting on perfume at home :p

--kellyst

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Feed her?

If she starts fussing & rooting to be fed when you hold her, why not put her to your breast? Then after she has a little snack, she may be more content to snuggle w/ you.

It's only a problem if she wants to suck constantly and you can't stand it.