Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Which Pram?

helena is offline Registered User
    I strongly recommend Combi prams. They are really light (4.2Kg) and can be folded using one hand.

mden is offline Registered User
    We need to buy a buggy (for our first child) and I think have narrowed it down to the Combi or the Chameleon......which do you think is best? Combi is easily collapsible & lighter - to carry as well as on the pocket! but Chameleon seems to have lots of features including big wheels & good suspension for the many HK steps.....

maggie is offline Registered User
    We love running. And we are planning to bring the baby to morning jogging after he is born. Any recommendation for pram suitable for our purpose ?
    - shock absorbant
    - flexible
    - highly comfortable
    - not too heavy
    Thanks.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Hi Maggie,

Regarding jogging strollers, I had the same idea for when my baby was a newborn, but was disppointed to discover that they are not recommended to be used for young babies - some advice says from 3 months up, some from 4 months up - because of the head jolting issue when you pick up speed. Then when my daughter was old enough, I was trying to get her into a routine and found taking her out running was disruptive: either the motion would send her to sleep at a time I didn't want her to sleep, or if we went out at naptime she would wake up when we stopped, whereas she would have had a longer sleep if she had stayed at home. I did manage to go running but mostly when someone else was able to look after my baby. Evenings are good if you plan to breastfeed because your breasts will be lightest then!

So just give some thought to these practical issues before you shell out a fortune. Also, make sure you don't rush back into running before you have rebuilt your pelvic floor muscles, otherwise you might put undue stress on them before they have had time to recover from pregnancy & birth!

Anyway, I have a Mothercare Urban Detour and find it fits most of your criteria but it is not light. I don't think jogging strollers are designed to be light; they need to be somewhat heavy to provide stability at speed. Ours is not a true jogging stroller but a hybrid which is much cheaper (still HK$2000+) than fancier models. Pure jogging strollers have handbrake, wrist strap, and are elongated in shape so that baby's weight is over the rear wheels - but can be ludicrously expensive as well as impractical to transport because they are very long and won't fold into a compact shape for car boots unless you remove wheels.

I'm actually looking to sell the Urban Detour if you decide on that kind of compromise. It is in good condition and you can see the specs at www.mothercare.com.hk (it's the only 3-wheeler listed) but ours has pale blue & black colouring.

shahirakk is offline Registered User

Micralite

it's just great! nice and light and cheaper than the bugaboo - Not sure if you can get it in HK. I used it on a short trip to HK and found it worked a treat. Can also add the Maxi Cosi Carseat too

http://www.micralite.com/

I have the NEWBORN attachment to the main fastfold as well and I think it would work well

Another popular model in the UK is the QUINNY - again you can add the Maxi Cosi Cabrio Carseat too

http://www.quinny.com/

Good luck!
    Shahira

mooncake is offline Registered User

Xplory

Thanks everyone for the inputs and informative experience.
    Somehow I am still leaning on the Xplory because of 2 things really: high chair capability and ability to fold it into a 2 wheeler. Having said that, the price is pretty stiff HKD8,000 at MotherCare.

So before I make the big jump, can someone please share her experience with the Xplory in the streets of Hong Kong - how can it sustain the very uneven/poorly maintained pavements, the narrow escalators and the taxi trunks?

Also beside MotherCare any other shop that would sell them, cheaper? I am thinking about even buying on-line from the US as they are way cheaper but I think I will take the heat for the shipping.

Thank you all

alibali is offline Registered User
    I've been looking at prams here in Amsterdam, Netherlands (going back to HK next week). I checked out the Stokke Explory and felt it was unstable- the fact that the baby sits higher seems appealing, but I also felt it made the pram a bit unstable (center of gravity, etc.) And for the price tag, it contained a lot of plastic. I also have not seen many of them on the streets here in Amsterdam (even though it's a Dutch company), compared to Bugaboo, Quinny and various other heavier duty brands (Urban Jungle, etc.) Ironically, someone recently sold a Stokke Explory on the asiaxpat website- I think it might have been sold though as the ad is gone. I do remember the seller raving about the Stokke though- good on MTR, baby is higher up, away from the city's exhaust fumes, can be used as a highchair in restaurants, etc. The website babytrader.co.uk also sells this pram and ships overseas. Might want to check out their prices as the VAT reduction might offset the shipping cost... Mixed opinions as usual!

mooncake is offline Registered User

Then it was the Buzz

Thanks Alibaba for the feedbacks.
    I ended buying the Quinny Buzz and I am now looking to get the Maxi Cosi Cabrio to fit it with. Any recommendations where I can get it at the cheapest price in Hong Kong.

Thanks again. You guys are great and very insighful.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast