Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Moving to HongKong, need advice!

maxeenbaby is offline Registered User

Question Moving to HongKong, need advice!

Dear everybody!
    I am going to move from Shanghai to Hongkong by the end of the year with my 5 months old baby and my husband. We do not have a very high budget for an appartment (only 13000 - 15000 HK$) and we do not mind living in a small appartment. Though we would like to live some place with lots of foreigners and also with conection to the subway if possible. I think my husband will be working in the Kowloon area.
    Maybe you can also give me adive for some mother-and baby-groups in HongKong.
    I am also looking for a part time job. I love children, so maybe something in a kindergarden would be nice. I have a lot experience with children.
    I also studied Tourism- and European Business Management, so any job as a secretary or something like that would be great,too.
    I know I have lot's of questions, I am just trying to be prepared ahead.
    I really hope you can help me with that. Thank you a lot already. Looking forward to move to HongKong. Sincerely, Iris
    Last edited by maxeenbaby; 10-24-2005 at 06:58 PM.

rani is offline Administrator
    Maxeen is your budget $1500 US$ or HK$

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Oh Ja... Sorry for the mistake... Corrected it already :)

Should be 13.000 HK$.

carang is offline Registered User
    also, you should know that you cannot get a work visa for part-time work and they no longer allow people on a dependent visa to work, unless they are dependent on a permanent resident.

good luck!

Valencia is offline Registered User
    Hi, Maxeenbaby,

You can be a private tutor tutoring at your home or your student's home, teaching English or European languages. You don't need a visa or have to pay tax (provided the government doesn't know).

Nicmum is offline Registered User
    Hi Max,

With that budget you could try Whampoa Garden. You could get an apartment around 700-900+ sqfeet. Alot foreigner live here as it's convenient. Easy to travel here with buses,van,ferries (harbour is walking distance). Jusco and ParkNshop ( supermarket ) is available. Groceries is easily accessible.

There's a few nurseries & kindy here too (eg.Deborah International palygroup& nursery,William International kindergarten). Learning habitat at fishermanwharf offer kindermusic for kids age 6 months onwards. 5mins away from New World center where Little gym offer activities for kids age 3 months onwards.

As for part time job, you could try later when you settle comfortably first in Hong Kong =) Good Luck !

Oh, I did not know that. Is it then possible to get a working visa for a normal job, not part time? Thanks
    Iris

carang is offline Registered User
    no problem! in order to get a working visa you and your sponsoring company need to prove that you have something that a local cannot provide. depending on what the job that you are doing is, it will either be very easy or very difficult.

anyway, i wish you the best of luck! i've been here for 10 years and i've never had a housing allowance, so i'm sure that you'll do just fine finding a place within your budget!

PS. i have an 8.5 month old!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast