Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Going to India

Daizy is offline Registered User

Going to India

Hi, I am going to India in December with my 1 year old. Has anyone been there with their baby? I would like to know what type of formula, diapers, baby food is available. What type of precautions to take to ensure baby doesn't get sick.

I will be going to New Delhi, Sikkim and Pune. Any advice would be appreciated.

rads is offline Banned
    Hi Daizy,

I've been to India ( New Delhi) with my son a few times...U need to carry diapers & formula from here...though u get both in India my son refused to drink the formula & the diapers( HUggies & Pampers) made in India gave him an awful rash....unless u know where u go & buy the Dubai made diapers in India.....It's just easier u carry your own supplies...Delhi has great doctors but depends where u'll be staying...as it's a huge city & u'll want one near you...not familiar with Pune & Simla...but they are much smaller cities than New Delhi ..which is the capital....

Hope thats some help...

rads is offline Banned
    I wll also suggest u stick to bottled water.as even I get an upset tummy with the local water...even though I had lived there for 20 years....oops thought Simla...but ur going to Shikkim...all these places with be cold in winter( DEC) so take warm clothes as India does not have centally heated homes ( mostly)

Thanks rads for your reply. I guess I'll just carry everything with me. I know there is no proper heating and will take enough winter clothes. So excited about this trip :)

lima1971 is offline Registered User
    Hi Daizy
    We went to India last year with my son who had just turned one at the time. We went to Mumbai and Pune. Pune has a supermarket which sells pampers and huggies and all sorts of baby products, but its probably best to take some with you anyway. As for precautions, drink only bottled or boiled water and make sure all veg and fruit is washed with boiled water before you eat it. My son luckily did not fall ill as we were so careful with food and water. Finally, we took our pushchair with us, but we hardly used it as the pavements are quite uneven and crowded. Have fun, we had a brilliant time!

Thanks Lima for the advice. Now I will have to reconsider the pushchair situation.

Can you tell me the name of the supermarket in Pune and roughly where it is? I will be in Pune towards the end of my stay and I am sure I'll be low on baby supplies.

lima1971 is offline Registered User
    I think its called Dorabjee, its just off main street. Its got an ice cream parlour next to it...sorry cant remember 100% where it is.