Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mushrooms and prawns

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

Mushrooms and prawns

My daughter is one year old. Can I give her mushrooms and prawns? If yes, what type of mushroom or any type is good?

Thanks!

Daizy is offline Registered User
    I have a baby recipe book and it says it's okay to give baby mushrooms. There are some recipes with mushroom's in it but not that many. I haven't given my son mushrooms yet. Haven't given him prawns either only fish.

Valencia is offline Registered User
    Beware of the mushrooms (fresh or dried) sold in Hong Kong, their sources are mainly from China or Hong Kong. I remember having heard that these mushrooms are grown out of waste cotton many years ago. I confirmed this with my husband and he said yes, they're either grown out of waste cotton or wood dust. If you buy them from the local fresh food market (any kind of fresh mushrooms) they all smell and taste sour. Those that are sold in Wellcome don't smell sour. I don't know if it's because their source is different from the local market or they are refrigerated so they don't smell sour. Whenever I buy something that smells sour, I rinse it in boiling water.

Mushrooms that are grown naturally or wild mushrooms are almost extinct, those grown by using wood will state in their packages and are definitely more expensive. However, I still buy mushrooms because my daughter and I love them.
    Last edited by Valencia; 10-29-2005 at 10:51 AM.

I buy mushrooms from Wellcome too. Is it harmful to eat those mushrooms that grown out of foam bubble? I eat mushrooms almost everyday!

Sorry, memory fails me. It should be waste cotton (something like that, not cotton because it is expensive), not foam bubbles. I remember many years ago some guy invented this method and went on TV. Everybody was using this method since then. Have corrected the above post.

Exclamation Mushroom planting methods

I was talking to my father about using waste cotton to plant mushroom, he said this method is for straw mushrooms only, since they take only a few days to grow. I've been searching for mushrooms on the internet and I've found the following, which are even more scary.

This webpage http://www.agri.ac.cn/agri_net/06/6-1/fa261sb.htm teaches people to use DDT and formaldehyde (both are cancer causing) in planting mushrooms.

This webpage http://www.qhjy.com.cn/qhjy/qhjyy.htm is selling their mushroom planting containers and talks about the traditional mushroom planting in China.

So, if you are eating mushrooms everyday, you should think about the sources of your mushrooms. Btw, there are several news about problem food in China on TV.

It seems like we are having lesser and lesser choice of food - has to be Non-GM, organic, not from China, no chicken, no pork, no beef, less sugar, less salt, no MSG, no plastic wrapping, cannot use microwave... :(

Scroll to top