Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Help! Baby don't want Daddy

Daizy is offline Registered User

Help! Baby don't want Daddy

My son turned 1 year old 2 weeks ago. About a week ago his 7th tooth started to come out. About 3 weeks ago he began to show signs of seperation anxiety. If I leave the room he cries and crawls after me, basically doesn't leave me alone. About a week ago he stopped going to his daddy. Now he doesn't want to be held by daddy, doesn't want daddy to sit with mommy and just won't play with daddy if mom is around. Once in while he'll be nice today e.g daddy is eating and he wants some of daddy's food.

My husband is getting frustrated and is wondering why his son hates him. He hasn't been on a trip or anything and everything is normal. Has anyone experienced this? Is it just a phase? What can I do to help this situation?

carang is offline Registered User

of course your baby doesn't hate his daddy... of course it is just a phase and he'll get through it! don't let your husband be put off....many times babies just want their mummy is all...

maybe you could try going out for the day and leaving baby with daddy... the first 1/2 hour will consist of baby screaming for mummy, but eventually baby will settle down and play with daddy...just dont' give in and return home if daddy calls after 15 minutes saying..."baby won't stop crying.... he hates me... come home and help me!" it would give them some bonding time when there is no "mummy option" for baby...

Last edited by carang; 10-31-2005 at 10:53 PM.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

This is just a normal phase that children go through. Please don’t let your husband get upset by it. And remember in another 12 to 18 months when your son only wants daddy and mummy won’t do that it is another phase and he still really loves you even though daddy is better for the moment.
    Best wishes,
    Barb

Daizy is offline Registered User

Thank you ladies :) I guess I just wanted to know if it only happened to me :) silly eh?

capital is offline Banned

It is just a phase. My one year old will happily go to daddy when I am not around, but when both of us are there, he wants me. I think toddlers like mom best, but probably preschool aged boys want to be with dad more than one, although I'm not there yet to know if this is true.

HKfornow is offline Registered User

IF we give baby the option to choose, mommies will never get rest. My son would say mommy read, and snatch the book from my husband and insist I read it, but if I'm not around, he is quite satisfied to have dad or helper read to him. . .and I thought I was indispensable.

noella is offline Registered User

Little ones bless them!!! WE have the opposite our daughter always wants her daddy and stands by the front door pining for him when he goes to work!!