Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Any experience with Kiangsu Chekiang local kindergarten?

lkho is offline Registered User

Any experience with Kiangsu Chekiang local kindergarten?

We are considering sending 3yo son to Kiangsu Chekiang kindergarten, local section so that he can learn Mandarin. Any parents with experience/advice? Would like your impressions of the school's teaching staff (how they handle the classroom and students), administration, bus service. Most importantly, how do the children like it? Is the traditional education overwhelming?

Thank you very much.

run4fun is offline Registered User

Smile

My son went to Starters for nursery, but a year later, we switched him to KCS local section, wanting him to learn Mandarin. The transition was quite smooth, at least much better than we expected. We were worried that KCS might be a bit too traditional in the way they teach when compared to international schools. But it turned out to be just fine. Quite a number of his friends are native English speaking kids. They all seem to love it. It's a happy school.

My son is now 5, attending K3. He is not the best in class, but he can read and write quite a lot of chinese words. They do have more homework than Starters, but it's not like he couldn't handle it. He loves his school and hasn't complained so far. And he truly believes that his teachers and classmates will miss him terribly even if he miss just one day of class.

I am quite satisfied with their teachers. I find them patient and caring. Anything that I am not satisfied? I think they should have more English class time. You only get 1/2 hour of English for half day school and that's quite insufficient. Also, the facilities aren't that impressive. If they could improve on that, then I have no complain.

jmonkeypuppy is offline Registered User
    My son is now in KCS (N1). I am just planning to switch him to Starters in the coming September with his (K1). What do you think of Starters (Tai Hang)?

I also want my son to learn more Chinese characters and Mandarin and may let him continue with the K1 at KCS (half session) - whiling spending the other half session at Starters. What do you think? I heard that kids from Starters can have greater chance to get into ESF! Anything you know about it? Much.... appreciated!

Have you heard about "Bambino English Playschool" at Causeway Bay?

newbies is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by run4fun
    My son went to Starters for nursery, but a year later, we switched him to KCS local section, wanting him to learn Mandarin. The transition was quite smooth, at least much better than we expected. We were worried that KCS might be a bit too traditional in the way they teach when compared to international schools. But it turned out to be just fine. Quite a number of his friends are native English speaking kids. They all seem to love it. It's a happy school.

Hi run4fun,
    Were your son speak Putonghua when he enrolled the KCS? My daughter (3.5 yrs old with zeroes chinese) has been accepted but I still have some reservation to enroll her in. Concern if the that will freak her out. She was from American International School previously.

Like you say, the school facilities is far from being impressive. But Ms Wong who attended to us and interviewed my daugther gave me a good feels. Not sure abt the other teachers in the school though.

In fact, while we were switching him over to KCS, there was a period when I let him attend both. Just to make sure that he is okay before we cut him off startes. He went to starter in the morning and KCS in the afternoon. I have several friends who did the same. For some kids, it could be tiring. But for my son, that was perfect. He got so much energy, and he hopped around until late at night and still complains he is not tired. Attending 2 schools really help to drain his energy. He would go to bed at 8 and wake up at 8. But
    very kid is different, and you know your kid the best.

He was very happy then. But as he moved on to the second half of K2, he started having more homework. The 2 school system doesn't leave much time for homework. We wanted him to have fun and be happy, and don't want him to be stressed. And seeign that he has adapted to KCS with no problems, we removed him from Starters.

My younger son is going to Hilltots, the playgroup that is next to Starter (Tai Hang). And I do noticed that some of the really good awesome teachers were no longer there. Afterall, it's been 1 1/2 years since my elder son left that school. My playgroup teacher told me that that teacher for K? (or K1 i can't remember) is execellent. She is from Sweden?, and she is so good good the kids. But I wasn't too impressed with their nusery teacher. Found her has little interaction with kids. May be it was only that day when I visited.

So, I am also shopping for a good English speaking place for my younger son. I probably will do the same half day English K and half day KCS until he is K2.

Wanted to check out Bambino, Letterland and Tinkerbell. What do you all think about those?

Quote Originally Posted by newbies
    Hi run4fun,
    Were your son speak Putonghua when he enrolled the KCS? My daughter (3.5 yrs old with zeroes chinese) has been accepted but I still have some reservation to enroll her in. Concern if the that will freak her out. She was from American International School previously.

Like you say, the school facilities is far from being impressive. But Ms Wong who attended to us and interviewed my daugther gave me a good feels. Not sure abt the other teachers in the school though.

My son spoke only English at the timewhen he was first enrolled. I remember a period when my son's teachers told me that if they didn't speak English to him, he would walk straight pass them as if they weren't exist. He would played with English speaking kids, giggled with the other non-English speaking ones. But he would simply ignore all Chinese speaking grown-ups. Because of this, I think the teachers probably spent extra time on him as they need to explain everything to him in English on the side. It didn't take him too long to understand simple Mandarin, but it did took him a while before he tried responding in simple Chinese.

The teachers he had were amazingly patient. They never really pushed him (or me - that's very important! =p ). It's awesome that they actually let him be himself.

Most of the teacher at the kindergarten seem nice, but I don't know all of them well enough. I guess I was lucky to come across several really good teachers. And it was fortunate to have one of his favorite teachers to be somehow in his class from K1 to K3 (either as his class teacher or as the assistant teacher).

Quote Originally Posted by newbies
    Hi run4fun,

Honestly, I could totally understand how you feel now. I felt exactly the same. I had reservation and didn't want to freak him out.

One example that I recalled was - they were required to sit down and pay attention to the teacher (or story) for a short period of time. My son, being the baby of the class and a non-Mandarin speaker, did like that too much. I was worried that he was going to hate school. But it turned out fine. The teacher would carry him (usually the younger ones) on her laps or they would sit next to him to make him feel better.

I must admit that I was concerned and anxious at first. For the first several months I visited the school frequently to make sure that things are okay. I called at times when I couldn't be there. I think communicating with the teachers is extremely important. You need to know and see how your kid is reacting and adapting. Every kid is different and they are all unique in their specialy way. You gotta make sure you and the teachers are with you and know your concern.

jmonkeypuppy is offline Registered User
    Hi, run4fun,

Can you tell the name of the patient teacher in KCS?

I'm still puzzling if I'm to send my son to Starters (Tai Hang). What do you think? (Please see my above message)

If you know anything more about Bambino, please let me know.

Thanks,
    jmonkey

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast