Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Immunization

Daizy is offline Registered User

Immunization

I've been taking my 1 year old son to the government clinic for all his immunizations. We might be living in the States in the future and I know that in the States they offer a couple more vaccinations that are not offered here. I am wondering what other vaccinations should I give my son. Does anyone know of an offical website that lists a vaccination chart from birth for the US? Also, if you have any suggestions as what other vaccines would be good would really appreciate it.

hkgirl is offline Registered User
    Hello Daizy,

I am from Canada and have taken my daughter to the MCHC as well for most of her vaccinations. I go to a private doctor for the 5 in 1 pentacel though (includes DTP, polio and Hib). It includes a Hib vaccine that is not part of the local HK immunization schedule. I would recommend getting the Hib separately if you haven't gotten it already. I will be getting my daughter the chicken pox (varicella) vaccine also after she turns one, which is good to protect against the child illness, scarring and future problems with shingles (elderly people often get shingles and it is very painful - my grandmother has been suffering for one year and hasn't hardly left the house).

The 2005 recommended infant immunization schedule for the US is here: http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/child-sc...ages-print.pdf

Hope this helps!

mambo is offline Registered User

Hib vacc?

Hi Hkgirl,
    What is the Hib vaccine for?

hkgirl is offline Registered User
    Hello,

Hib is used to protect against meningitis and pneumonia:

"Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) has been shown to be an important cause of childhood meningitis and a major cause of bacterial pneumonia in children. Although little population-based incidence data are available from most of Asia and the newly independent States of the former Soviet Union, Hib is estimated to cause at least 3 million cases of serious disease and hundreds of thousands of deaths annually, worldwide. The most important manifestations of Hib disease, namely pneumonia and meningitis, are seen mainly in children under five years of age, particularly infants" (http://www.who.int/vaccines/en/haeflub.shtml).

Daizy is offline Registered User
    Thanks HKgirl for the detailed info. I appreciate it. As my son has already turned 1 I guess it's too late for him to get the HIB vaccine. I will however give him the Varicella and Pneumococcoal Conjugate vaccine. Am I missing any other vaccines?