Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Move to Pok Fu Lam

Sumei is offline Registered User

Move to Pok Fu Lam

hi,

we are considering a move to Pok Fu Lam (Cape Mansions on Mt David Road) - would like to hear views on whether PFL/Mt David Road is a good place to be with a toddler and baby :

1. where does one go to do supermarket groceries (is there a Wellcome or P&S Super where I can drive to?) and other errands like drycleaners/flowers/wet market etc?

2. is it easy to walk a stroller around Mount Davis Road area (say for a good 30 min brisk walk)?

3. playgrounds - are there nice playgrounds near Mt David Road?

Your comments/thoughts are great appreciated!

mong1972 is offline Registered User
    Hi Sumei

We moved to HK in 2003 and we also considered that area. At that time, my girls were 4 yrs and 4 mths old. However, we gave it a miss because it is quite far in and if you don't have a car, you have to rely on taxis and mini buses to bring you out to the nearest market, which I believe is Aberdeen Market. That will costs around HK20-30 and it takes around 10 minutes to reach.

The nearest playground is Pok Fu Lam playground, which is walking distance but you have to cross a major flyover.

I would suggest Belchers, where I am staying. IT is very self contained and it has 6 playgrounds in the development itself with a huge Wellcome just downstairs.
    Mong
    www.meganmacy.livejournal.com

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    I agree with Mong. I live in Belcher's too, which is very near to a local wet market, many laundries, a park (Kennedy Praya Park), an indoor play area for children and a public library (Kennedy Town). Westwood shopping complex is great!! (Pacific Coffee, Panash, HSBC, McDonald, Wellcome, etc)

rubystar is offline Registered User
    We live on Mt Davis Rd - (the top end). Looked at Vista Mt Davis as well - (nothing avail at Cape Mansions at the time).

I think it is great. Yes certainly a car makes it easier to get around but taxis are aplenty. And heaps of buses. From Cape Mansions you have great walks along the sea. Yu can walk along Victoria Rd to the cemetry to get great flowers. Supermarkets are all close: Belchers - Wellcome, Baguio (p) Villas P&S are excellent. Also a small Wellcome in Scenic Villas. There is a great playground at the top of Pok Fu Lam Rd - don't need to cross a flyover, just set of lights. Although from bottom of Mt Davis Rd it is a 15 min walk up the hill. There are a few dodgey bends which you need to be careful with kids / prams - this being the only negative.

Really depends on what kind of living you like, Belchers is convienience with facilities, but for us (we have a 1 yr old daughter) we prefer a more quiet setting near the water and green surroundings!

Hope this helps

Sq

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi there,

thank you all for your very helpful suggestions - Belchers is fantastic from a facilities point of view (and convenient with the shopping mall) like Rubystar, we prefer a bit more space and less people (we are current staying in a 3 level walk down old building) AND I prefer to drive whenever we go out as I'm not madly keen on taking a cab or minibus with a young baby.

Rubystar - one more question, someone mentioned that Cape Mansions could be noisy due to the fog horns from the ships in the bad weather, do you have any experience of this?

Thanks!

sharonwong is offline Registered User
    besides belchers, i have friends who suggested bel-air. does anyone know the comparison between bel-air, belchers and baquio villa in terms of community and kids meeting other kids.

jasminea is offline Registered User
    could you tell me more about the mandarine playgroup?

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    where is the pokfulam playground please from victoria gardens? is there parking there or does one need to walk there with baby in pram? also are there baby swings there?

thanks!