Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Trying to get pregnant - should I get a flu jab?

marlie is offline Registered User

Trying to get pregnant - should I get a flu jab?

A flu jab would have been a great idea considering all that is going on wrt avian flu etc etc, but if one is also trying to get pregnant, would a flu vaccine have any negative effects?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Marlie,

This is really a question for your doctor as I’m sure he/she will have books about the safety of drugs during pregnancy. I don’t have any information about medications while trying to get pregnant but I have a book called Medications and Mothers’ Milk by Dr. Thomas W. Hale which explains the risks of medications while lactating and also mentions the risk while pregnant.

Influenza Virus Vaccine

Influenza vaccine is prepared from inactivated, non-viable influenza viruses and infection of the neonate via milk would mot be expected. There are no reported side effects, nor published contraindications for using influenza virus vaccine during lactation.

Pregnancy Risk Category: C
    (Either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the fetus and there are no controlled studies in women or studies in woman and animals are not available. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies risk to the fetus.)

Lactation Risk Category :L3
    (Moderately Safe: There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfeeding infant is possible or controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.)

Adult Concerns: Fever, myalgia

Pediatric Concerns: None reported in breastfeeding mothers.

Drug Interactions: Do not administer within seven days after DTP immunizations. Decreased effect with immunosuppressants.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Valencia is offline Registered User
    I think I heard the TV news the other day the govt is giving free vaccination to several groups of people, which include women pregnant for over 12 weeks. You should call the govt clinic to confirm this. If you are pregnant for less than 12 weeks, there is a risk.