Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Baby Food - Chinese congee

songsc is offline Registered User

Lightbulb

Hi all, this is my 1st post after joining Geobaby for nearly a month. I love making bb food. My view, you don't need a cook book for bb food, just a little creativity, imagination and lots of love...

My girl is now close to 11 mths old. I enjoyed cooking for her. Wee Kean's comprehensive list will come out with >50 combination. Some other ingredients to add on Wee Kean's list is Broccoli, Sui Bak Choy, all green leafy veg, sweet potatoes, chinese spinach (green &/or red leaf), celery, asparagus.

I put two types of veg and one portion of meat for bb congee. You can mix and match, no worry, they will all come out very delicious. Choose ingredients in different colours, congee will look so colourful. For e.g., red leaf chinese spinach + yellow corn; purple sweet potatoes + green broccoli.

For 9mth old baby, you can try give her food in finger size to encourage self-feeding. Sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrot, celery and asparagus are all good as bb's 1st finger food. Cut them in finger size, steam then let bb helps herself. Quick and easy! but...need to clean some mess later and food will probaby end up more on the floor than in bb's stomach, yet it is so much fun to see her trying to self-feed

Do remember to feed your bb the same ingredients for at least 3 days to note if there is any allergy sign, especially when you are introducing fish, egg yolk and those food could potentially causing allergy for bb.

Happy cooking!

mambo is offline Registered User

brown rice for congee

On another note: Has anyone tried brown rice for congee? does it work? I figure that it might be a healthier alternative to the white rice.

newbies is offline Registered User

Any grains

Brown rice work fine. I am using broken rice (brown rice) mixed with wheat germ for my baby (10 mths old). Of course, cautious with some baby may develop allergy towards wheat product. Eventually, my baby is okay with it and the congee smell GREAT while cooking in the slow cooker. For breakfast, he is having Apple and muesli from Heinz. Just thought to introduce him a healthy eating habit. :bwinky

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

The Chinese Baby Food Cook Book is in Chinese and English but the title is in Chinese "Give the baby the best first mouthful - Recipe" It is for 4 months old baby up to 3 years old. I bought it from "San Lian" Bookshop (in Mandarin) in Westwood. Cost: HK$68.

Valerie, thanks for your advice. The book uses "mi chao" (honey dates) in the recipe. I haven't try it yet. We didn't really follow the book because it involves a lot of work.

Last edited by Wee Kean; 11-11-2005 at 08:43 PM.

Valencia is offline Registered User

Honey dates are fine. In fact, I always put 4 honey dates in boiling almost any kind of soup. My child likes apple soup, just pork with 5 apples and 4 dates in a big pot. Try it if you haven't yet. Boil the pork first. Don't boil the apples for more than 1 hour. Enjoy.

FTMummy is offline Registered User

Hello! What are honey dates and do you buy them fresh or dried? Cheers,

Valencia is offline Registered User

Honey dates (mut jo) are dates dipped in syrup and dried. They look brownish. You can find them in Chinese herbal shops, usually in packages in box in front of the shop. They cost about $10 per catty (usually one catty per bag). We put them in soup to make it sweet instead of sugar.

anna_nomis is offline Registered User

Please can you give the ISBN. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast