Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

hols abroad with 8 mth

glee is offline Registered User

hols abroad with 8 mth

Am planning to go abroad for hols for the first time and wondering there is anything we need to be careful of or plan beforehand? Naturally will be bringing all the food stuffs and utensils (& the kitchen sink I'm sure) but am wonder how the babies themselves cope with the change re: sleep & eating habits. Also what to do re: plane landing and take off?

csy
    csy is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    Bring your baby's favourite old and new toys will sure keep him/her busy, also please remember to bring medicine for fever, cough, cold and diahrea etc....
    When take off and landing, some babies might get pain in their ears, you can feed them some water can sort of help out in this situation. More diapers and formulas...

Hope this will help.

joannek is offline Registered User
    just came back from vancouver w/ my 9 mth-old. her pediatrician warned me about her picking up some viruses on the plane, boy, was he right. she got roseola on the way there, and a flu on the way back, still hasn't recovered yet =(.
    as for the take off landing, try to time feeding time. it takes about 15-20mins for te plane to completely ascend/decend, so i gave her milk on & off. i'm still nursing her, so she had no problem taking the breast whenever she was grouchy. if she uses a dummy, get several handy, the sucking motion is enough to help her with the pressure. i also bought the flight vest from bumps to babes- godsend. except that it is quite warm, so you need to adjyst baby's clothing accordingly, so she doesn't get too warm. as for eating & sleeping habits, i thinkit depends on the baby & whether there is a large time difference, and weather change.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Hello Glee, how many hours is your flight? If it is more than 2 hours, you may consider asking for baby bassinet or baby car seat. Try to ask for a front seat which gives you more space. You may consider bringing a change of clothes for your baby in case he/she spilt the water, etc and may be for you too (you don't want to wear a wet shirt with baby vomit on it for 12 hours!)

Are you travelling alone? If yes, you may consider having something to eat and go to toilet before flying. Otherwise, you may not have the chance to do so in the flight. Unless you want to take the trouble to bring your baby with you to toilet.

Some airlines will provide baby food and drink and toy. You can check with them. You are also required to put baby seat belt on your baby during take off and landing (which my daughter hates!!!) Ask for blanket and pillow for your back and shoulder support, especially if you are breastfeeding or holding the baby for long hours. Feed more water to your baby and yourself.

Where are you going? When we were travelling for only one week, we brought all the nappies and wetwipes with us. You may consider doing that if you have a very tight schedule and have no time to shop or no place to shop for nappy (and baby food)

I agree with Joannek, it all depends on the babies. My daughter usually will wake up in the middle of the night wanting to be nursed (almost the whole night) for the first night. She will be more attached to me too. I guess when she is in a new place, she needs some comfort from me. Then it will gradually gets better after 2nd night and onwards. If you are doing control crying, it might be a bit difficult unless you want to hide in the hotel room toilet :)

If your baby is used to sleep in a cot, you may consider asking for a baby cot from the hotel (or bring your own travel cot) Make sure you double check the cot and the mattress. Once or twice we were given a broken cot!!! They just tight the broken door with rope, can you imagine that! Sometimes the cot is sooo unstable and shakes everytime the baby moved!! I always bring our own cot bed sheet and blanket.

If you and your husband want to go out at night, you need to book a nanny from the hotel in advance. If you are using one, ask her to come early, talk to her and see how she handle your baby, her experince, changing nappy, etc. If possible, write down the don't and do. We only used nanny service once when we were in Jakarta. It was in the daytime so I just asked the nanny to push the pushchair in the garden (round and round the garden...)

Bring the usual stuff like sun block lotion, thermometer, mosquito repellent, mosquito net, rain cover, umbrella, etc.

We usually go out really early in the morning, and go back to the hotel in the afternoon, spend some time in the hotel so that my daughter can walk around and chill out in a more baby friendly place. We then go out in the evening again.

Have a nice holiday!

glee is offline Registered User
    Many thanks to all for replies. Was really helpful - will certainly be preparing for it. (eg buy bb vest!) We're only going for 4 days to Kota Kinabalu - short trip since it's a first! Was dreading the take off and landing a little bit - good to know there's things we can do to stop the screaming!

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi,

the first trip is always nerve wrecking - despite what alot of mums advise on the take off and landing bit, alot of babies have no problems at all so don't worry - I was prepared to nurse my son on take off and landing but he was perfectly fine (and so were 2 other babies in the same cabin)....

good luck!

kar
    kar is offline Registered User
    We've travelled a lot...around Asia and back to the US twice a year. Neither of my babies had problems with take off or landing. Be prepared, but it may not bother your baby.

Have a great holiday!