Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

La Leche League

amychukityi is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

La Leche League

I've heard that the local La Leche League used to have some regular meetings for the breastfeeding mons. May I know will there be any recently as I've a 3 months old son and would like to get more info on those breastfeeding matters.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong

The La Leche organise 3 English meetings a month across HK. The events are posted on our calendar. Unfortunately, the next event on the 7th has been cancelled. You can also contact Sarah, a La Leche League Leader through our forums.
    Last edited by rani; 11-17-2005 at 10:15 AM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Dear amychukityi,

For meeting details please visit our web site, (The Chinese speaking meetings aren’t advertised here because of the problem of Chinese fonts – I hope to overcome this soon.)

If you would like join our e-mail reminder list please send a message to [email protected]

All our meetings are free and it is not necessary to be a member to join our meetings. Of course we do encourage membership as money from memberships and donations are our major sources of revenue. The format for all the meetings is similar. We spend the first part of the meeting discussing the meeting title topic and the second part of the meeting the topics which the mothers attending bring up. Thus every meeting is different depending on the needs of the mothers there.

The article Why La Leche League?
    gives a nice description of why our meetings may be helpful to attend.

As well as our meetings we also hold a Breastfeeding Class. This class covers the important points to get breastfeeding off to a good start. The contents include:
    • Breastfeeding advantages
    • What to do and why in the first few days
    • Good positioning
    • Good latching
    • Hunger Cues
    • When the milk supply increases
    • How to know if baby is getting enough
    • False alarms
    • Potential problems
    • Out and about with baby
    • Expressing
    • Where to get support

The cost of the class is $500, this is for two – the mother and a supporter. We feel that it is very important that a breastfeeding mother has support from an informed family member. We encourage fathers to attend - but if the father is not around, perhaps another family member, for example the mother or mother-in-law could attend. Or even a sister... even the domestic helper. The more people who understand the basic principles of breastfeeding - the better.

The cost of the seminar also includes a copy of LLLI’s book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. The book covers all normal situations that a new breastfeeding mother is likely to encounter and some special situations too.

The class is done either at your home or at my home (in West Mid-levels). It is advertised as two hours but it usually takes longer when you add time for questions.

If you would like breastfeeding help please contact one of our leaders:
    SARAH 2548-7636
    MAGGIE 2817-7475
    ROCHELLE 2947-7147
    E-mail to: [email protected]

Best wishes,
    LLL Leader in Hong Kong