Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

baby not sleeping

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    mammalicious, I really feel for you. My son was a bit older than your daughter (17 months at that time), but was terrified of the drilling across the apartment then directly above, so it was really hard for him. On the first two ocassion I took off overseas, because he could not handle it, but on the 3rd ocassion, above us again, I decided that draining my pocket by and separating my family was not doing me any good, and that the people here are just really fond of remodeling. So I played construction with my son and let him bang on stuff, floor, tables, etc., and tell him that's all the people were doing upstairs having fun banging. It seems to work, now he naps through all the drilling, banging etc., he is now 2 1/2, and yes, another neighbor is remodeling (5th & counting), this time below us.

From your comment, your baby was not a big napper even prior to the construction, if that is the case, then maybe she just does not require that much nap time, regardless of what the books tell us (22 hours sleep . . Yeah right!! my son was a 15 minute napper as well). Maybe the remodelers don't bother her as much and she just wants more time with you? Stay Sane and good luck. If you are in the Pokfulam area, you can always come hang out with us (hoping our remodelers are quieter than your on those days)

Valencia is offline Registered User
    People renovate for different reasons. For new buildings with many vacant apartments, be expected to have people move in and renovate. But usually people don't do drilling everyday, they do it in one or two days. Taking off walls will be expected in smaller apartments. The renovation of completely new buildings is much less noiser than older buildings, which usually involves a major renovation. For buildings over 30 years old, the government requires an obligatory renovation. Many buildings are already udergoing this process, which means the water pipes, water tanks, windows etc need changing, and the outer walls of the buildings need painting, which means a process around 1-3 months, and the outer walls will be covered with mesh net and bamboo scaffolding with workers working inside your apartment or outside your window. Next time you find an apartment see if the outer wall is newly painted and the windows already changed (for buildings over 30 years old). However, my friend's building has undergone this process when it was just over 20 years old.

Slee is offline Registered User
    Even though your bubs has no set nap time I'd still ask for three grace periods each day saying they're so she can sleep so you at least can have some time at home in peace! That way you won't have to spend so much time out in the cold and your bubs can fall asleep in her pushchair.

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    we live in an older buidling and the flat across from us is gutting the whole flat!! i went to the one below us who has gutted the kitchen and the bathrooms also digging in for the pipes. they workers below have agreed to drill only between 3:30-5:30 when i take my baby out. the flat across however.. i went to beg and plead.. the walls, floor everything was bgin torn apart. they even are knocking down one wall to redesign the flat they said they can't do anything about it and will just have to live with it. asking them how long it would be, they said at least a week or 2.. i feel like going down and screaming at them everyday!!

Valencia is offline Registered User
    The workers usually have lunch between 12:00-1:00pm and take a break and have tea between 3:00-4:00 p.m. You may have to reschedule your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12