Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby not sleeping

mammalicious is offline Registered User

baby not sleeping

we have drilling day after day after day in the flat below us and the flat next to us due to renovations. But this is upsetting my 3 month old baby, and she is unable to have any daytime sleep. perhaps 15min max before she wakes up from the noise.

As this will continue for some time, and i can only take her out so often (i can't be lugging things and sitting on park benches all day long), will this affect my baby in the long run physically or mentally.. i'm worried sleep deprivation will do something to her.

does anyone know?

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi,

my sympathies, have been in exactly the same situation and know how stressful it can be, and you are right, you can't be camping outdoors all day esp as the weather cools down. What I did was I had a chat with my neighbour and asked them (very nicely!! now's the time to grovel) whether they could have a "time out" period (no drilling or hammering) at baby's nap time, my son was 6 months old then and his two most impt naps were 9-10am and 12.30-1.30pm which was reasonable I thought. Hopefully you can time your baby's nap time during a "time out" period and take him out more when they are banging away. Also I think, unless they have a special permit, they should only be doing renovation works from 9am to 6pm on a weekday.

Good luck!

Sumei is offline Registered User
    ops - sent it too quickly - don't think the sleep deprivation will harm your baby long term, it's just that when babies don't have their rest time, they get very grumpy and fatique more imptly affects how they feed (usually they'll feed badly) and this has a knock on effect on their night time sleep (ie they wake as they are hungry cos they haven't fed enough during the day).....

my baby already has difficulty settling down into a nap... it's funny.. whenever people ask me out, and they say just schedule it around my baby's naptime.. i almost want to shrug and say "what naptime?!?!" is it because she is only 3 months and still needs time to get used to sleeping at a fixed time each day? it seems like she never wants to sleep and when she does fall asleep, she doesn't stay asleep for long! even if it is quiet!

really tired and frustrated mom

Valencia is offline Registered User
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Is it possible to stay in your friend's or in-laws house or have your in-laws taking care of your baby? You may consider a day-time nursery. Protect your baby's ears. If the smell of thinner and chemical is too strong you and your baby have to get out. I used to live in an apartment that has drilling and breaking walls all year long. I've read a similar thread and those moms just went abroad to stay away.

but we'd still hv to sleep at home and my folks and inlaws live overseas... its unbelievable and they say it will last a couple of days for drilling, yet its now 4 wks!!!!

Joyce is offline Registered User
    I understand what you're going through. I have major renovations going on in the flat below mine and they started in October and won't be finished until end of December! Last year, the flat above had major renovations and I did grovel and asked if they could avoid drilling between certain times because of my baby's naptime. Would you consider moving out (even though it's not fair). Do you have any friends that work and that you could flatsit? I ended up using a friend's flat for my baby's naptimes.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    When my second and third children were three and half years and four months respectively we had major renovations next door. I took them out to nap each afternoon. I would have a pushchair for the toddler and a sling for the baby and walk around window shopping in Central until they fell asleep. Then I would go somewhere for a drink and read a book while they slept. I didn’t get much housework done but if I stayed home I’d get a headache and then be no use to anyone in the evening.

Barb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast