Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Antenatal Checks in HK, Delivery in Australia

Autumn Leaves is offline Registered User

Antenatal Checks in HK, Delivery in Australia

Has anyone had their antenatal check-ups in Hong Kong and then delivered overseas? I'm due in late July next year but my husband's contract in HK ends in June. To be practical my doctor in HK suggested I do all the antenatal here and then deliver in Australia.

Q1. For those who've been in a similar situation, what was your experience?

Q2. Was it straightforward coordinating and managing communication between your Ob/Gyn in HK and the one overseas?

Q3. Has anyone had their antenatal checks at Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital and how did you find it?

Your advice is appreciated.

beans is offline Registered User
    Autumn Leaves, first of all, congrats on your pregnancy!! I, too, am expecting my (second) baby sometime in mid-July :baby2: .

To answer your query, yes, during my first pregnancy, I had my antenatal checkups in Hong Kong [first trimester with an ob/gyn in private practice in Central and during the second, registered for antenatal care at Tsan Yuk hospital] while I delivered in my home-country (India). At the start of the third trimester-when I was ready to leave HK-I filled out the requisite forms for copies of my hospital records to be sent by registered post to my address overseas. I must say the hospital authorities in HK were very systematic and all the records reached me without any delay. My ob/gyn back home did not find anything wanting in terms of sufficiency of data.

Hope this helps and with your pregnancy!

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi Autumn,

I know quite a few moms did their prenatal testing in HK and when SARs struck they went home to deliver.

If you're going through the public system, you can always ask for a photocopy of any tests and u/s, so you can create your own file. I think I paid $100 admin charge for photocopies and $250 for u/s.

A good friend, (who unfortunately is leaving tomorrow so I would have asked her to reply to yr msg) delivered all 3 kids at Pamela Youde and was very happy with the care. Her review here:

Pamela Youde Hospital
    Last edited by rani; 11-23-2005 at 03:45 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thank you

Bean, thank you for your kind wishes and feedback. Congratulations to you too! You’re the first one I know who’s also due in July! This is my first pregnancy so there are extremes of emotions from ultimate happiness to major panic! I’ll be spending the Christmas period in Australia, so I’ve already made an appointment with my doctor to discuss my situation. I’m happy to hear there’s both efficiency and accessibility in relation to hospital records.

Rani, thank you too for your feedback and link to your friend’s review. It’s reassuring to hear of firsthand experience, especially when one is new to the hospital system in HK. I’ll also make contact with the hospital in my home country so that we’re all on the same page. I’ll be on the phone first thing tomorrow to request an appointment!

Thank you both!

Autumn

Follow-up

Just an update...

I checked out both Eastern Hospital and Tsan Yuk Hospital and registered with TYH in the end. Thank you Beans for your message otherwise I would never have known that TYH is attached to Queen Mary Hospital. I found TYH to be more English-speaking friendly in terms of medical and support staff and the provision of English antenatal classes (Eastern Hospital does not provide English antenatal classes). The general atmosphere was more personal too (maybe because it's a maternity hospital and not a general hospital).

Furthermore, because TYH is a maternity hospital I found the atmosphere to be more father-friendly in terms of how their participation is encouraged (even for breastfeeding classes). I'm sure Eastern Hospital will be fine for some, especially if you speak Cantonese. But as an English-speaking mother-to-be, I found the environment at TYH more comfortable. The scheduling of first antenatal visits was also different than Eastern Hospital where you have to wait until week 13 to see the doctor. I'll be seeing the doctor at week 8 at TYH. So I hope this will help anyone else in a similar situation.