Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby on food strike!!

shalom is offline Registered User

Unhappy Baby on food strike!!

Help!! i have always have a hard time feeding my baby. He will only open his mouth if he has a new toy in his hand during mealtime. Recently, just a few days ago, he has refused to open his mouth altogether!!!! No matter how hard I tried ( new toys, singing, dancing. practically turning myself into a clown!), he just kept his mouth shut and turned away from the food. I have checked his mouth and he is not teething or anything. Is this one of the phases that babies go through? What if he is on food strike forever?? Good thing is that he is still taking his milk well, but I am worried that he cannot survived without his solid. He is already 10 month old. Already i can see him losing a bit of weight. Please advice.

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User

My baby went through the same thing at about 10 months. Now she's 11 and eats very easily. I think it is a phase thy go through. But you can try a few things. Before feeding him, make sure it's been a while since he's has his milk or water. ie make sure he's a little more hungry than usual. Maybe you can try something new for him to eat too. Sometimes they are just bored of eating the same things. But don't worry too much , one thing i've learn is that babies have great survival instincts. when they get hungry enuf they'll eat. Don't look at what they are consuming on a daily basis but rather take a few days and see if they consumed over a period over 3-4 days. if he's eaten well yesterday then maybe today he won't feel as hungry. Hope this helps.

carang is offline Registered User

my boy is 9.5 months and has decided that he only needs two meals a day... it's driving me crazy... but i know it will not last forever... he will not let himself starve to death!
    and neither will your child!
    don't worry, relax and let him eat when he's ready...
    (after refusing lunch today, i tried giving him some dry CHEERIOS and he loved them and ate about 50 of them! at least i knew he had something in his tummy)

good luck!

also, i've been mixing a little(about 1 tbsp) rice cereal into his formula, so i know he has a little extra in his tummy

Corina is offline Registered User

My babies did exactly the same thing - and then I changed their menu from mushy food with everyting all mixed up together, to chopped food, feeding each seperately - and now they just finish the whole bowl of food without the need for toys or anything !

Corina

shalom is offline Registered User

Unhappy

i let him go solid free for 3 days and for the last 3 days he just survived on milk and cereal. today i try solid again( porridge and fish) and to my horror, he still keeps his mouth shut. how long will this go on??

until he's hungry enough, i'm afraid!
    good luck and again, don't worry, he won't let himself stare to death...

try putting some rice cereal into the formula(just a little)

Valencia is offline Registered User

I guess your child is a picky eater. Have you tried other things such as kid's food, your own dinner or junk food? Do you put salt or anything sweet in your porridge? Most children don't like fish, mine doesn't like congee or porridge. Have you tried other kinds of porridge? You may boil congee with dried scallops and some children like it. You can put a tiny bit of salt or soysauce in his food since he doesn't like it tasteless. Try giving him processed cheese slices, chicken , rice and noodles and bread, and canned salmon . My child started eating rice when she was under 1 because she doesn't like congee, she likes the rice very hard and dry, not soft or wet. As a last resort, you may try Macdonald's. If he doesn't eat, then he has a problem. Give him fruits, esp oranges or orange juice so that he feels hungry and starts eating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast