Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

delayed motor skills and language

tammie is offline Registered User

delayed motor skills and language

Anyone knows where my baby can get some government-assisted free physical training classes and speech therapies to help with his delayed motor skills and language help? He is currently 9 months old. Thanks for any advices.

carang is offline Registered User

what kind of problems are you/is he experiencing? it seems a little early to be looking for therapies, each baby has their own schedule.... has a doctor recommended that you seek help?

Valencia is offline Registered User

It is too early to judge your child's language development. My child has her assessment at the mother and baby clinic after 4. For language assessment, you may have one as early as 3 at a govt clinic, though you may make it earlier if they let you. However be expected to wait for one year after you've got the assessment. I've decided not to wait and found a private speech therapist. I've found that 4 yrs old is just the right time for my child to have therapy, though your case may be different. If you suspect anything, don't wait for the govt, go for a private one. For motor skills assessment, you'll have one when your child turns one. Sometimes their assessment can be too difficult for your child, as I've found different govt clinics have different tests and the levels can vary a lot. There are lots of baby health web pages with baby development for your reference. Talk to other moms to see if their children have the same problems.

mulk is offline Registered User

In my opinion (and I'm not trying to discount anyone else's), I would seek help for a child with language delays at age 2 (at the latest). My son has a language disorder (he's currently 2 years, 5 months) and he's been attending private speech therapy for the last 6 months. He's improving a lot although he can still only say about 20 words (which are recognizable to us).

Good luck!

Lylah is offline Registered User

I was told by a speech therapist from the Adventist Hospital that speech therapy for children is only effective at age 3. My child has speech delay and i was just asked to stimulate him by using one language, reading more often, talking while watching his vocabulary building video, and I additionally sent him to kindy school. In 6 months, everyone who sees him can tell of the marked difference. He has words now for all common objects, can recognize (but cannot yet pronounce) a lot more words and has started putting 2 words together like "mama, help"... which is good as he really tries to communicate versus just memorizing words.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

If you are worried, the Department of Health has a Child Assessment Centre Tel: 2246 6659

http://www.info.gov.hk/dh/main_ser/child.htm

You can also try to make an appointment at a Maternal and Child Health Centre - choose one in your area
    http://www.info.gov.hk/dh/telephon/mchc_e.htm

Lylah is offline Registered User

Thought i'd share this update to inspire other worried moms like me...
    my son is 2.5 years old now and he has learned to "read" the alphabet... not just memorize but recognizes the letters. I play the flashcards with him which is why i can tell he can read.
    he also knows about 40 animals and can even emulate their sound
    love and patience is what worked for me and my son
    Good luck to everyone else.

mulk is offline Registered User

Lylah,
    That's great news! However, time and patience does not work for all kids. My son who is also 2.5 was just diagnosed with severe verbal dyspraxia. We're 8 months into speech therapy...he's making improvements but it's slow going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast