Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What's the best age to start nursery?

val23 is offline Registered User

thanks scr and joyce

I think I'll try nursery for my boy this coming Sept. I know if I don't send him off now, next year might be too late relatively speaking compared to other kids here. Although I really think 2 and a half years old is too young to start institutional schooling. Got to go with the norm, I guess.

sharonwong is offline Registered User

hi joyce
    wondering where your child goes to nursery. can you please recommmend some schools?
    i'm sourcing a nursery and kindergarten that will be more mandarin or cantonese driven. like you i am an overseas chinese. my children both speak only english and some german (husband is german). so moving back to hk would really mean for me to push them to be trilingual. why not, right?
    i don't mind schools that taught english but should have some instructions in either mandarin or cantonese. solely mandarin is fine as long as we are in the group that is friendly.
    if anyone has good recommendations ....we will live in pokfulam or near by
    any comments on the woodland schools? any mandarin there?

Valencia is offline Registered User

A kindie with a trilingual programme : English, mandarin and Cantonese , a native English teacher and Mandarin teacher, and a predominantly Cantonese speaking student population may suit you, since only through student interaction will your child learn Cantonese. Since I live in Kowloon, sorry, have little idea of kindies and schools on HK island. We're a local family, and my child is attending a local school, so it's the English part I'm worried about. I can foresee as your child grows older, you'll have more struggle in strengthening his language skills and choosing between local and international schools, plus other moral and cultural issues. I want my child to be bilingual in order to survive in HK, and I won't sacrifice her Chinese in order to better her English, or vice versa. If she can be trilingual or quadrilingual, it will be all the better for her.

babymom is offline Registered User

Hi,
    Am interested in reading about the age to start nursery. My son is now 1 year and 8 months. I am a working mum and i leave the house at 7 and i return just before 7. I have been lucky enough to have my mother take care of my son with my helper. However as she had to go back to her native place, my son will now be with the helper and i can see that he is finding it quite difficult to adjust with her.

I too am thinking of sending him to nursery when he is around 2 years and 2 months...to some it may be shocking but in the HK context i guess it doesn't. It's a very personal and agonising decision but i had to look into my situation and i feel that him going to nursery at that age, he would be better of rather than crying at home waiting for his mummy to come home and be miserable the whole day. He can interact with other kids his age and engage in activities...

ANyone else send their kids that young to nursery?

And SCR, am interested to learn more about think international in Laguna city....as i live nearby and am looking into that as one of my options.

thanks

Valencia is offline Registered User

Sharon,

You may be interested in St. Clare Primary School. It has a French stream starting P.1. http://scps.school.hk. It has a kindergarten starting Sept 06. However, application for 06 has closed. It's a prestigious bilingual school, a pushy one.

Joyce is offline Registered User

Smile

Sharon,

I've sent you a message.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

babymom..what would you like to know ? Send me a PM and I'll answer all your questions the best I can. I live in Laguna city ..very close to the school.

shoeilamb is offline Registered User

If anyone decide to use Kiangsu school bus, they are 30 minutes late for pick up and 1 hour late to drop off. Terrible service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast