Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Victoria Kindergartens???

ida
    ida is offline Registered User

Victoria (belcher's vs Harbour Heights)

Quote Originally Posted by HKfornow
    bbky, my son joined the Woodlands Panda playgroup in Chi-Fu prior to Victoria, as Victoria does not accept kids until they are 2 years old. My son is currently in PN, will graduate to K-1 in August.

To tell you the truth, I was sure that my son flunked the interview in Victoria, as he totally ignored the teachers/interviewers, and did his own thing. However, I have heard before that some schools seem to give bonus points for parents who are stay at home moms???? Don't know how much credence to give that particular rumor.

I highly recommend Victoria (please read between the lines). If you would like additional info, please PM me.
    Hello,

My daughter is currently attending PN in Harbour Heights (HH). Not sure if I should transfer her to the one in Belcher's. Any comments? Thanks.

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    Ida, can I ask why you want to transfer your child to Belcher's? is it closer location or something else? All Victoria will eventually be IB schools if that is your concern.

ida
    ida is offline Registered User

Victoria (belcher's vs Harbour Heights)

Mainly because the belcher branch is closer to home, not because of IB.

I am more concern whether the teachers are as nice and as experienced as those in the Harbour Heights branch. Also about the quality of the "campus".

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    Ida, call up Belchers and ask for a tour if you haven't already, and you can see for yourself the campus situation. Their space is sort of limited, however, I don't know how spacious HH is as I haven't been there myself. Once there, you can also observe the teachers to see how they interact with the kids. Maybe you can also post a question in the VEO/VSA forum that is managed by the Victoria school (though I haven't seen any post yet as it's a new medium for them).

rainbowstar is offline Registered User
    Each victoria branch is completely different, they can follow different systems. I.e some follow the IB system which means that the children will not share a classroom with another and others spilt the session so it means that your child will only be in the classroom for an hour and a half rather than having the option of being in there for 3 hours. The IB system is a better system to work for as it runs each topic as a project and allows the thread of learning to follow the children's interest instead of pre-defined lessons. Other Victoria which do not follow the IB system do not have as much consistency. The interview system is a bit strange and it depends on who you get. They are looking for children that are independent and parents that are willing to back off and give their child space without letting them run around wild. If you already have a child in Victoria it is pretty much certain that your other child will get in. If anyone wants more info please let me know.

rainbowstar is offline Registered User
    belchers is probably a better school, if the school is IB then the teachers will be more qualified because they have to be whereas HH can employ teachers who arent fully qualified. The school system is also better

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I was just wondering what is meant by the term 'playgroup?' In Australia it refers to a pretty informal group where the mums sit around and chat while the children have a play for a couple of hours. It is run on a voluntary basis by the mums who take it in turns to organise a few activities. It sounds as though playgroup in HK is a lot more structured. Do the mothers stay or is it more like a preschool for younger children. I hope someone can enlighten me as we are about to make the move to HK with my five and a half and two and a half year olds.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

It all depends on the playgroup. If you attend a playgroup run in a kindergarten then they tend to me more formal and may even follow a daily routine and set curriculum. I believe in most run in kindergartens parents don't stay.

However it is also possible to find more informal playgroups run by Mums.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast